• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sand instead of water in a WSM

Which WSM? I think the bowl on my 18.5 would hold enough to bend the support tabs. :twitch:

(Not a sand user myself. I still have childhood memories of gritty hot dogs roasted over an open fire on the beach. I use water, empty bowl or no bowl depending on what kind of heat I want.)

My $.02, I used to own a WSM clone and I used a ceramic plant base covered in foil inserted inside the water pan. No screwing with sand and cleanout. Being ceramic is will absorb, retain and radiate heat and help keep even temps. Hopefully this link will work and show what I'm talking about.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2527/ceramic4sz.jpg

Sand!?!?!?! Never heard of such a thing.
Although the water thing is such a pain in the ___, I'm open to suggestions.
Doesn't the sand being heated give off an odor?

I stopped using anything in my water pan. I just foil it for easy clean up. But, when I did use sand I filled it almost full and left a depression as HSLS mentioned and then layerd on some HD foil.

My $.02, I used to own a WSM clone and I used a ceramic plant base covered in foil inserted inside the water pan. No screwing with sand and cleanout. Being ceramic is will absorb, retain and radiate heat and help keep even temps. Hopefully this link will work and show what I'm talking about.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2527/ceramic4sz.jpg

This is what I use also. Sand, clay saucer, crushed coke cans, or just foiled water pan are all options that folks are using instead of water. Got tired of the mess that water makes. My gut tells me that water provides a little bit more control, but it is not worth the extra clean up effort.

Started with water, then went to sand, then went to the clay saucer, now I just use a foiled empty pan, no problems controlling temps, just catch 'em on the way up.

no more than 2" the; Idea is to give off a consistent heat to much and it will be a cold fuel hog.

Interesting. Sooo....to the guys using clay saucers... You're using one that fits the brackets in the WSM? Meaning you actually found one in the correct diameter?

And....I take it that you don't miss the added moisture the 2.5 gallons of water evaporating gave off?

!8" foiled clay saucer here. Mine sits directly inside the water pan minus the water. I foil both the water pan and the saucer.

Back