• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Green egg ?

tyotrain

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How are you guys with the eggs transporting them to comps. I just got a XL egg would like to take it to comps just not sure the best way to transport it. Any info would help. Thanks

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

How are you guys with the eggs transporting them to comps. I just got a XL egg would like to take it to comps just not sure the best way to transport it. Any info would help. Thanks

BBQ UP

I have a couple Larges.One is in a nest with the nest handler option.It works great moving it around.If you have ramps to load into a trailer it is pretty easy.If you have to lift it though,it is a 2 or 3 man job unless you remove insides,etc.Then it is still a pain.

I have a couple Larges.One is in a nest with the nest handler option.It works great moving it around.If you have ramps to load into a trailer it is pretty easy.If you have to lift it though,it is a 2 or 3 man job unless you remove insides,etc.Then it is still a pain.

I only have the nest. Do you leave the plate setter and greats in it or take them out?

BBQ UP

I leave mine in unless I have to lift the beast.

I built a table for mine and haul it in that. I usually take the plate setter out but not the fire rings. I suppose the plate setter would travel well, though.

I built a table for mine and haul it in that. I usually take the plate setter out but not the fire rings. I suppose the plate setter would travel well, though.

Wouldn't happen to have any pics you could post?

BBQ UP

I took my XL to a competition last year. Pulled all the guts and wrapped them in an old blanket, shoved the egg into the corner of the pickup, strapped it down tight while strapping the lid down. No problems at all.

Oh brother, transporting to comps with the XL should be done veeeerrrrrryyyy carefully.

I homebrewed some transport options for my large and small eggs because my patio is cobblestoned. The small casters on the BGE nest don't roll smoothly on it. The pneumatic tires are from HF and do a great job.

The LBGE is in the wooden crate. The idea for the SBGE was inspired from pics of a similar setup by a guy from the BGE mothership who took XLBGE's to comps or eggfests.

Also, [ame="http://www.amazon.com/PotLifter-200-Pound-Gardening-Heavy-Lifting/dp/B002ECFFJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363649481&sr=8-1&keywords=potlifter"]this potlifter from Amazon[/ame] is used by many folks to lift their eggs.
41-C5uFWLFL._SX450_.jpg

IMAG1514_zps33326f5c.jpg

IMAG1462_zpsbe42ea4f.jpg

IMAG1463_zpsc124bf3d.jpg

IMAG0993.jpg

IMAG0995.jpg

We would carry both an XL and a Large to competitions. What a PITA. I found that the best way to transport is to get one of these plastic buckets with rope handles and a lip. I would pull out the ceramic pieces inside the BGE and wrap them in towels. Place a large swimming or beach towel towel over the opening of the bucket and have two preferably three guys lift the BGE out of the nest slowly and put the BGE in the bucket. Don’t carry it by the rope handles but by the lip of the bucket. The towel will allow for easy removal. You can also slide it around in a truck or trailer and tie it down. Good luck.

Attachments

• 051596080341lg.jpg
    051596080341lg.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 189
Transporting a ceramic kamado has got o be a pita for the ages!

My chit is staying on my back deck.........unless an ambitious thief decides otherwise.

Looks like the XL egg will stay home and the G2 and kettle will go to comps.

BBQ UP

We transport 3 lg BGE and this year will do 4. It is a pain in the butt, but very do-able. We have an enclosed trailer, with a ramp back. All the eggs are in compact tables, with the upgraded wheels. We take all internals and put eggcrate foam between them and put them back into the BGE's. They all get tied down with straps inside the trailer. This means at the end of comps we have to wait for them to cool down before we can load them. Yes, it sucks. It takes us around an hour to do all of them.

Eggspert BBQ

We transport 3 lg BGE and this year will do 4. It is a pain in the butt, but very do-able. We have an enclosed trailer, with a ramp back. All the eggs are in compact tables, with the upgraded wheels. We take all internals and put eggcrate foam between them and put them back into the BGE's. They all get tied down with straps inside the trailer. This means at the end of comps we have to wait for them to cool down before we can load them. Yes, it sucks. It takes us around an hour to do all of them.

Eggspert BBQ

Totally agree, remove the inners. Mine broke durning transport to a comp, had to readjust all mine cooking times, sucked. Green Egg said they would replace but not cover the shipping. Had to argue to get them to replace as they say they don't cover breakage durning transport.

Food for thought

Eggspert BBQ

Testament to the awesomeness of ceramic kamados.

This much effort is undergone for a reason!!!!!:clap2:

Wouldn't happen to have any pics you could post?

BBQ UP

Sure. But I do need to take some up-to-date pics. These are some build shots:

Spicewine172_zpsde325f93.jpg

Spicewine171_zps63ddd7c0.jpg

Spicewine169_zps038e38cf.jpg

Daddy's little helper.

Spicewine168_zps5895a481.jpg

MyEggtablefirstsmoke003Medium.jpg

I couldn't wait till the table was done to test it.

P1030300_zps13ef7b29.jpg

I decided early on that I wanted to take this table to comps and collect signatures, then I would seal it with Varnish. Here's Tuffy of Cool Smoke and Chris & Brian of Dizzy Pig.

LeeAnnessig002Medium.jpg

Lee Ann of the Woodchicks.

P1020674_zpsd3b43bb3.jpg

Dan and Chris of 3 Eyz (Back in the day)

P1010671_zps6d9d639a.jpg

The large Egg is a rib cookin machine!

P1030671_zpsec894aa6.jpg

Edit, a pic from this morning. Note the two ThirdEye wiggle rods in front of the Large Egg. They are a must have for any Egger.

Sure. But I do need to take some up-to-date pics. These are some build shots:

Spicewine172_zpsde325f93.jpg

Spicewine171_zps63ddd7c0.jpg

Spicewine169_zps038e38cf.jpg

Daddy's little helper.

Spicewine168_zps5895a481.jpg

MyEggtablefirstsmoke003Medium.jpg

I couldn't wait till the table was done to test it.

P1030300_zps13ef7b29.jpg

I decided early on that I wanted to take this table to comps and collect signatures, then I would seal it with Varnish. Here's Tuffy of Cool Smoke and Chris & Brian of Dizzy Pig.

LeeAnnessig002Medium.jpg

Lee Ann of the Woodchicks.

P1020674_zpsd3b43bb3.jpg

Dan and Chris of 3 Eyz (Back in the day)

P1010671_zps6d9d639a.jpg

The large Egg is a rib cookin machine!

P1030671_zpsec894aa6.jpg

Edit, a pic from this morning. Note the two ThirdEye wiggle rods in front of the Large Egg. They are a must have for any Egger.

Thanks for the pics this helps a ton.

BBQ UP

You may notice from the pics that I started with set wheels all the way around, but later changed one side to swivels. Had to. That puppy got heavy real quick! I thought I would be able to lift up the side with the small Egg and skooch around. Not so much.

Back