Mr. Twister vs cuisinart cek-40

J

jmoney7269

I love my cuisinart cek-40 for chicken, ribs and sausage, but hate it for brisket! It leaves the meat looking slightly jagged and shredded. So I have gotten really good with my 12" victorinox scalloped slicer. At the cookoff this weekend I saw a guy that wins brisket alot in my area slicing with this yellow and green knife, making beautiful slices with ease. I told him what mine does and he said "yo blade ain't right". It seems right for everything but brisket, so I was thinking about purchasing this one and giving it a whirl, it's only $27. Any thoughts on electric knives and briskets for comp slicing?

We use an electric knife and it cuts brisket beautifully. We used to use a $100 Granton Slicer and we sucked making nice slices. Go with what works for you.

So which one do you use? My brisket this weekend was so tender that I kinda shredded the ends a little, so I took my turn in from the point and half.
I would of usEd my cek-40 but it does leave the finished slice looking jaggedy.

i just don't understand how you could let a violent, shaking, moving machine cut your hard worked delicate brisket. Get a good Wustoff slicer, use the whole blade when you slice and slices should be beautiful. You will never get the control out of an electric blade that you will have from a regular blade. 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the blade, as long as it is nice and sharp, it is the person using it that is the problem.

I used electric and didn't like the cuts. Since then, I use a 12" slicer for the last 4 years or so. I like the control of the blade. And if my brisket end are falling apart, I can recover better with a blade than the electric. Lots of TX teams use electric and do well. And I see all kinds of electrics used.

Well I have two 12" slicers one is a update cheapie that I take to parties and slice ribs with. I also have the victorinox fibrox granton slicer. It was razor sharp when I first got it, but even when I hone it I can't get it back to shaving sharp. It cuts well but not excellent. I'm wondering if the steel just isnt the quality to get an edge that fine. I looked at the maba wustof grand brisket slicer, but it's stamped steel also but twice the price.

Well I have two 12" slicers one is a update cheapie that I take to parties and slice ribs with. I also have the victorinox fibrox granton slicer. It was razor sharp when I first got it, but even when I hone it I can't get it back to shaving sharp. It cuts well but not excellent. I'm wondering if the steel just isnt the quality to get an edge that fine. I looked at the maba wustof grand brisket slicer, but it's stamped steel also but twice the price.
Stamped vs forged has nothing to do with edge quality. It sounds like you're trying to put too shallow of an edge on your slicer. Try backing off a couple of degrees and see if that helps.

I like how the wustof is curved allowing your knuckles to not drag. I always have to slice on the corner of the table. I was actually lookig at salmon slicers also.

Slamdunk, I don't actually have a sharpener, I know I need to get one, but dont know which to buy. I have no experience sharpening knifes. It wouldn't take long if I did the whole stone shebang

Unless you want to put in the time and effort to learn to use a stone, get one of the sharpening systems, like Wicked Edge, or EdgePro, they take a lot of the guess work out of the angles and stroke.

You might have problems using any system with a 12" slicer. If you don't want to sharpen it yourself, use a professional sharpener, or replace the knife, I'd recommend a Smith adjustable angle pull through.

dmp

Both the EdgePro and WIcked Edge have instructions and techniques for sharpening longer slicers. I see more ruined slicers that went to "professional" sharpeners than any other type of blade. Most sharpening services use dry belt sanders to 'edge' the blade, these use an eccentric force on the blade that 'bends' the thinner blades that are typical of slicing knives. Most of them also use 'paddle' type buffers to polish the edge, this often kinks the blade. I would never send my slicers or Japanese blades to a sharpening service.

One of the things I dislike about the pull-through type sharpeners for a thin blade, is that the blade in not trapped in an angle, so as you pull, the blade can lean and the angle wanders, a few times of this, and you find that now your edge has a 'wander', it will not cut straight and clean anymore.

I agree that pull through sharpeners are neither perfect nor ideal, but we're talking about about a $40 foodservice blade here. One of the great things about them as opposed to more expensive options is that you can use them until they are ruined, throw them away, and buy a brand new one. Personally, I'm not sure that I would invest too much time or money in such a knife. YMMV.

dmp

In a little over 3 years competing I've only used an electric slicer for all meats except chicken of course..while high end slicers are nice and I've got a few but it's just easier,more consistent and quicker than a regular blade IMO..plenty of firsts in the above categories with the electric..like was mentioned above to each their own and what works best in your own hand.

The MABA version is an awesome piece of cutlery. Made bacon recently and was able to cut razor thin slices. Expensive but worth it IMHO.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk HD

Stamped vs forged has nothing to do with edge quality. It sounds like you're trying to put too shallow of an edge on your slicer. Try backing off a couple of degrees and see if that helps.

What degree should the Wustoff be honed at?

Unless you want to put in the time and effort to learn to use a stone, get one of the sharpening systems, like Wicked Edge, or EdgePro, they take a lot of the guess work out of the angles and stroke.

Thanks for the nudge over the edge. Upon examining the Amount of knives I have that need sharpening and after talking to a few of my cookoff buddies, they need someone to sharpen theirs also, so I pulled the trigger on the Wicked Edge pro pack 2. @$699 it seemed steep at first, but then got to thinking I could pay for it in a few months of just little side jobs. Really a neat system.

jmoney, anytime you need help spending money, I am here to encourage you.

jmoney, anytime you need help spending money, I am here to encourage you.

Lol I was reading about the vg-10 shun 12" slicer. Interesting knife. I know my victorinox can be sharper than what it is now for sure, we shall see soon. As far as the OP, the electric fisherman got alot better reviews than the cek-40
One day when I'm responsible enough lol I will get a nice set of knives

Back