Advertised prize fund..can trophy cost be added?

big matt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Recently a promoter has started to add trophy cost to his prize money that's advertised..I've heard from a very reliable source that this practice is against KCBS rules..I just wanted a little more clarity about this..input?

I guess the word that pops into my mind concerning this issue would be ethics. The question is: Would it be etihcal to include the cost of the trophies as part of the payout prizes?

My answer is no. Trophies are part of the expense to put on the cook-off. How about we include the fees the electrician charges to produce electrical hook-ups for the teams as part of the prize purse as well?

I just think it would be poor judgement to include the trophies as part of the payout total.

$$ only.

EDIT:Unless something has changed in the last several months. Trophies, ribbons, additional prizes may be advertised but not included in the advertised payout. If that is happening or happened I'd contact the office and provide as much info/evidence as possible.

I guess the word that pops into my mind concerning this issue would be ethics. The question is: Would it be etihcal to include the cost of the trophies as part of the payout prizes?

My answer is no. Trophies are part of the expense to put on the cook-off. How about we include the fees the electrician charges to produce electrical hook-ups for the teams as part of the prize purse as well?

I just think it would be poor judgement to include the trophies as part of the payout total.

100% in agreement

I dont think that they should include anything but pro-side payouts. If they say $10k prize money there should be $10k in prize money for the sanctioned bbq contest. I have gotten more and more annoyed by contests that talk about their large prize pool and then half of it has been given away before they call the first sanctioned winner.

I dont think that they should include anything but pro-side payouts. If they say $10k prize money there should be $10k in prize money for the sanctioned bbq contest. I have gotten more and more annoyed by contests that talk about their large prize pool and then half of it has been given away before they call the first sanctioned winner.

A KCBS sanctioned contest is required to submit a prize list, paying a minimum of 5 places deep per category along with the prize for each place (if they advertise $50 for 5th they are obligated to pay $50 and not $50-ribbon cost) If organizers are doing something short of that the office needs to be informed.

EDIT: I just read the post again and think I understand what you meant now. Back to my day job!

A KCBS sanctioned contest is required to submit a prize list, paying a minimum of 5 places deep per category along with the prize for each place (if they advertise $50 for 5th they are obligated to pay $50 and not $50-ribbon cost) If organizers are doing something short of that the office needs to be informed.

EDIT: I just read the post again and think I understand what you meant now. Back to my day job!

yeah I think that in 2013 I am just going to be far more diligent about finding out about payouts before sending in an application and check.I am going to stop paying attention to the "total prizes" and start paying attention to the sanctioned payouts.

When I lived in AZ, the big debate was always about the "Best Booth" as it was deducted from the prize fund.

Seems ancillary stuff was coming from the overall total of expected cook off winnings. Or so I was led to believe.

but they debated a lot in AZ, I was a rookie team and the amount of dough in the pot was irrelevant.

Sometimes they word it $10k in cash and prizes....

See it's the "and prizes" part that's the problem IMO..it's turned into KCBS as a certain amount but then it's being pumped up after that on flyers and so forth..to me it's shady used car salesman chit..which we don't need nor are we going to fall for it.

See it's the "and prizes" part that's the problem IMO..it's turned into KCBS as a certain amount but then it's being pumped up after that on flyers and so forth..to me it's shady used car salesman chit..which we don't need nor are we going to fall for it.
Not to bring up old wounds but after the St.Louis debacle, has KCBS ever pulled sanctioning over an advertized prize pool reduction prior to an event?

Not to bring up old wounds but after the St.Louis debacle, has KCBS ever pulled sanctioning over an advertized prize pool reduction prior to an event?

Brings to mind WI Dells a couple years ago. Thanks to Walt (Smokin Scottsman) for calling them out!! 10k prize money consisted of gift cards to the local outlet mall and BP gift cards. But.......They were'nt BP gas cards, they were for the Buffalo Phils BBQ!!

Brings to mind WI Dells a couple years ago. Thanks to Walt (Smokin Scottsman) for calling them out!! 10k prize money consisted of gift cards to the local outlet mall and BP gift cards. But.......They were'nt BP gas cards, they were for the Buffalo Phils BBQ!!
I vaguely remember that, did KCBS sanction and then pull or did the event never get off the ground?

The original advertising was cash prizes .About a week before they changed it to cash and prizes . If I remember right there was maybe 3500 in cash rest was gift cards etc. Walt and Theresa had the right phone #s on Speed dial. Somewhere I still have the original and the secondary advertising saved. 14 K plus payed in in entries. As a cook in Wi I hope that gal never comes back as an organiser .There were a lot of issues at that one.Good thing Fat Andy knew a lil about electrical stuff or some one most likely would have had the shock of there life:mad: My personal opinion is that if there isnt some passion for BBQ in the heart of the organiser that they wont ever have a great contest.

Back