Has anybody ever smoked a....

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
....burger?

Now stick with me here.....hold on.
I know, the mere idea goes against everything we know about grilling a burger. Super hot and fast. On the grill, flip it, off the grill, done.

But we smoke fatties for a couple hours, why couldn't we smoke a burger?
Maybe it's because there's a higher fat content in pork sausage than ground beef.

Ok fine. We could have a 50:50 mix of pork sausage and ground beef.
Then, we could put a couple slices of raw bacon on the burger patty while it smokes.
There's two good ways to "juice it up".

What do you think? Has anybody done this? Does it sound feasible?

Why Not.. Try it.. i have smoked plenty of burgers... smoked until just done.. with just regular ground beef.. and bacon on top for fat.. worked out good.. Ground beef will give you a great smoke ring too!!

I like the OP idea. Make a thick patty out of freshly ground chuck, wrap in bacon and smoke to your target IT depending on your safety comfort level. I've smoked a loaf, but never a patty. Reversed sear? Yep but not quite the same thing.

Every time I cook them, indirect on the Weber with a chunk of bourbon barrel wood, then seared off for the finish. I think we typically use 80/20 so it doesn't get dry, never had an issue with it.

You have to decide at what IT you want to pull it at. If you smoke it at 225 and pull when its med rare (assuming you didnt use pork) then there will be no crust... And if you take it to 160 with the pork in it, then you have a well done burger with no crust. I am not sayin that as if its a bad thing, just sayin. Essentially like AB22 said, it would be like a mini meatloaf. I wouldnt be against doin it though. It can be made tasty with a try or two I would imagine.

Yes, I smoke burgers all the time and they’re awesome. As mentioned, you’ll need to make thick patties and use 80/20 or 73/27 ground chuck and cook til done. They get nice and red from the smoking process and have very nice flavor. Give it a try :grin:
Burg1.jpg

Hmm..good stuff guys. I'll be doing this, for sure. The idea of the reverse sear sounds like a good idea. I prefer a little crunch around the edges as opposed to a damp, slimy McDonalds type piece of meat.

When I do burgers on my kettle, I spread hot coals only on one side, that leaves a hot and cool zone. I always put in at least one small piece of wood on the hot coals.

I generally put the burgers on the cool side first, and let them sit for a bit, then finish them on the hot side. That is a reverse sear, but they do pick up some smoke when they are sitting on the cool side of the kettle at the beginning.

I've never cooked a burger completely indirect. Sounds like an interesting way to do it.

Bob

I smoked some burgers about a week ago and they were awesome! Used 80/20 and they turned out just like the ones in BBcue-Z's pic except I melted some chedder on top of them. :clap:

i started this about a year ago. kettle grill set up indirect, nice chunk of hickory, sear, then finish on the cool side.

no chance i'm eating a burger without a good heap of smoke on it ever again.

Sounds like a lot of extra effort. I think I'd rather just add smoked cheddar and double thick smoked bacon on my burger.

BUT

if you're willing to do it, just let me know when to show up :hungry::hungry:

I tried it once with some crappy pre-formed patties that were supplied at a party I attended. I was in charge of the grill and was in foreign terrritory at someone else's house. They had a weber kettle and I had a few chunks of pecan in my truck. Smoked up the burgers indirect and they mad a damn passable sammich when it was all said and done. It might get dangerous if I tried it with a nice hand pattied 80/20 in the future. I think I will!

I have a friend that has basically a homemade Pit Barrel Cooker and he cooks burgers on it all the time. Uses the 80/20 ground chuck to make up nice thick 1/2 pound patties then puts them in a square vegetable basket. Hangs them in his Ugly Pit Barrel for about an hour at about 250* with a couple chunks of hickory or red oak and they come out fantastic. Juicy as can be and with a nice pink smoke ring. No pork or anything to worry about so if they come off a little medium rare its okay. Sometimes he takes them off and throws them on the gasser to get a little char going but they are best straight off the barrel.

if you're willing to do it, just let me know when to show up :hungry::hungry:
If life allows me, I'll be doing it this coming weekend. :biggrin1:
Looks like you're just a bit east of me.....you should come on over. :wink:

Back