• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thanksgiving Dress Rehearsal (Boob--er pRon)

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Decided the other day to cook a turkey since we had one in the freezer and so I can practice ahead of Thanksgiving.

Brined in the Turkey 101 brine recipe for about 40 hours. Then injected with 2 TBS of butter melted, then mixed with 1/2 C of chicken broth, splash of lemon juice, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp of sea salt.

Summer-Fall2012409.jpg

Put on when the fire got right and temp was about 300. Placed bacon over the breast to slow it down a bit and keep it from getting too dry.

Cruising along for about 3 hours now. IT is 127. More boobies to follow.

Summer-Fall2012414.jpg

i like the idea of putting bacon on it. i wonder how much of a difference it actually makes. i love bacon, i even put bacon on my bacon, then serve it with a side of bacon. looking forward to more pron!!! :mrgreen:

There was a discussion earlier today from somebody saying bacon doesn't help keep the meat moist. While I mostly agree with that, this does help here. I've done several birds like this and it shields the breast from the heat while you get the legs/thighs up to temp.

And it's bacon. So how can you go wrong with bacon?

More pron of the finished product soon.

I think I had a premonition about this. I wish you had wrapped the whole thing in bacon and then I'd know there was something magical about this day.

In any case I'm looking forward to the results and I want to know if those breasts taste like bacon.

Went into the foil about 130 degree IT. Bacon was pulled off the breast at 155. In hindsight, I'd like a little more color to the skin and would probably pull the bacon at 145 next time.

Summer-Fall2012416.jpg

And we're done!
Summer-Fall2012417.jpg

Some of the drippings to make a gravy. No Thanksgiving is complete without some gravy.

Summer-Fall2012420.jpg

Nice juicy breast meat. Lots of moisture still in there. Took the turkey off the smoker with the IT at 175.

Summer-Fall2012422.jpg

Finished product and ready to eat!

Summer-Fall2012426.jpg

Last edited:
Bro, while it looks good and all, and I'm sure many will criticize me, combining foul and pork raw like that is not a good idea. I know Chef Ramsay and Irvine would go Ballistic! :doh:

Summer-Fall2012414.jpg

While you're absolutely correct if you're consuming all of it, that didn't happen NW.

Should have mentioned that I discarded the bacon and in now way would it be safe to eat...however, the dog thought it was delish!

Then if you get the IT, or in this case, the external temp, cross contamination isn't going to happen.

But it's a great reminder.

I think I had a premonition about this. I wish you had wrapped the whole thing in bacon and then I'd know there was something magical about this day.

In any case I'm looking forward to the results and I want to know if those breasts taste like bacon.

No it did not taste like bacon. Sorta like a turkey-ish bacon.

Actually, the bacon was on the skin only, so it was more of a shield/baster. It tasted like turkey.

Someone is a skilled bacon weaver. In the dailymeal version, I think I would have removed the skin and replaced it with the bacon. I'm not partial to flabby skin on my turkey.

I am confused about the contamination problem. If you're cooking it, why does it matter if the bacon and turkey have come into contact? If it all comes up to temp, it should be fine. These are just my thoughts, please enlighten me.

I like the looks of that. Those guys on the Food Network are a walking contradiction. :tape:

I'm with you somewhat, Michael. I would not eat the bacon unless you get the temp high enough. If there is anything bad that gets on the turkey in the processing, it's going to be on the surface of the turkey. Cooking it to temp will get rid of the bad bacteria. (It's why I love steaks medium rare, but my burgers are always medium well.) Covering it and never uncovering it could put things on the edge for me.

That said, if you get the temp right, without drying it out, you likely good.

Back