New Spicewine medium

Ford

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Picked it up Wednesday and fired it up Saturday at the Everglades Seasoning class to cook the contest. FYI Carolyn was head cook for this one and I was pit bitch. Started a fire about 8:45. Dave from All RackedUp and Jimmy Brod dropped by for some coaching. Said set the intake here and it will run all night at 215. Of corse I didn't believe it. Checked at leat hourly until 12:30 when I lay down and it didn't move. Got up at 3 to check and bang on. Got up at 5 and guess what, bang on, hadnt moved. Wrapped big stuff to finish in fe, put ribs on after opening air a little. Sat right on 250. Put chicken in at 9. Everything was great. Carolyn took a first place chicken and got an invite from jimmy to cook chicken for him. There was more smoke taste than with the fe but not too much. Placement of wood chunks is critical - thanks Dave. Shut it down and I'd only used about 1/3 of the maze. Totally awesome. It's an amazing competition cooker. You can add a guru but I don't see the need at this point. I strongly recommend them.

Carolyn did most trimming, all injecting, seasoning and work on the boxes. We had fun and she also had a 3rd pork. I will need to modify timing for ribs as we were way overdone.

Ford: I was thrilled to hear you bought the cooker and congrats on your success. Thanks for the kind words.

I would recommend not putting a fan controller thingie on this smoker. The reason is simple: It doesn't need one. Furthermore, it can major mess up. Just ask someone named Phil who's pit bitch spent most of the night fighting temps at the Royal. Or a man named Jay who designs and builds the things and told me he had no idea why someone would put one on his smokers.

Congrats...

Spicewines don't need a temp controller, but a Spicewine augmented with a BBQ Guru becomes a precision machine...

I tried the maze but felt I had the best control using a WSM charcoal ring and minion method (set off after an initial pre-heat using 1-2 chimeys to get steel up to temp).

Congrats and good luck with your new Spicewine.
They are outstanding cookers.

Congrats...

Spicewines don't need a temp controller, but a Spicewine augmented with a BBQ Guru becomes a precision machine...

I tried the maze but felt I had the best control using a WSM charcoal ring and minion method (set off after an initial pre-heat using 1-2 chimeys to get steel up to temp).

In 16 hours I probably only used 2 chimneys of charcoal with the maze. I'll probably buy a weed burner to preheat the main chamber so it's ready faster. We only lit about 8-10 briquettes to get it going.

Back