Operating cost for smoker

Bearbonez

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am working on a business plan for getting a concession trailer to operate in Austin. I have been doing a lot of reading and researching several aspects of this. One spot I am stuck on is what type of smoker to get. I have definitely decided on set and forget, as well as something that will double as a holding oven to prevent over cooking, over night. It seems to be a toss up at the moment between an FEC or a SP/OH. I can get oak and pecan logs, split seasoned and delivered for around $200 per cord or a lot cheaper, taking the time to watch craigslist and just go pick up the stuff. So for those with experience operating these cookers on a day in/day out basis, which is more cost efficient, if there is a difference. pellets/elec vs. gas/elec/wood.
I have the room to store the bulk of either pellets or wood at home and take what is needed as is needed to where ever the trailer is parked.
Also, I am guessing here that the best way to preserve the integrity of the product is to put in pork butt and brisket at night before going home for lunch service. Ribs and chicken early in the morning for lunch. pork butt and brisket at same time as ribs and chicken for dinner service, and the ribs and chicken go in at lunchtime for dinner service. With that being said, would it be essential to have a holding oven or do cambros/carlisles suffice?

I have a southern pride 700 for my trailer...I always cook brisket and butts before hand..just does not work opening the door during the day..I will use a 20 # propane bottle in about 2 days depending on temp your cooking at..and a few logs per day..if you use pellets then yu are held hostage..you can always find logs..
I use same cooker for holding or reheating..lots of room to put full size pans in..

Back