• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beef Chuck Short Ribs (lots of pics)

Wow, those ribs look soooo good! Nice job!

picture.php

Damn! Am I gonna have to change the name to Bitchin' Beef Rib Rub?

Waiting on the money shot...

I was wondering about this one, too. I thought that a Porterhouse had filet on one side and strip on the other.

Yes, and it is not a rib at this point, but vertebrae. Like I said, I enjoyed the pictures, but I'm not going to take the cooking advice of someone who likes his ribs medium rare. :laugh:

I will listen to what you have to say about that, however. :hungry:

awesome looking beef ribs. Properly cooked beef ribs take a back seat to no other bbq meat. The giant beef rib at Blacks in Lockhart is the single best barbeque item I have ever eaten.

I think Ron must have ate the ribs before he took the money shot.....:roll:

Those things look fantastic!!!:thumb:

Sorry guys... We had to clean up and put the Memphis Pro away and then talk to my parents on the phone. I hope I didn't cause anyone any unnecessary discomfort :becky:

I'm stuffed! I ate one of the ribs, some noodles in herb and garlic sauce and a healthy green salad. These ribs were so meaty I couldn't eat a second one!

To summarize for those who want instant gratification :-D, the ribs were rubbed with Big Mista's *NEW* Bitchin' Beef Rib Rub :p and left to sit for about 15 minutes before going into the smoker at 250. The cooked for almost 6 hours (5:45) and were then foiled and rested for about 90 minutes.

The ribs were very tender and the bones pulled out easily and cleanly. I put the rub on the top of the ribs fairly heavy (like I was rubbing a brisket), and it might have been a little too much. It probably would have been perfect for a brisket, which would cook longer. In retrospect, I probably should have trimmed some of the fat cap. Most of it rendered, but as it did it shrunk and pulled the rub with it. Trimming the heaviest fat would have been a better choice.

We really enjoyed these ribs, and Big Mista's rub was very good. It is saltier than my usual beef rub (Bovine Bold), so I would use less the next time, bu it had a very interesting tangyness to it. It reminded me a little of citrus. Thanks, Mista!

So, here's what you've been waiting for...

57d3a088.jpg

48d214ce.jpg

e913b734.jpg

and the money shot...

1f67d0e0.jpg

These ribs are also entered in the Make It Funky Throwdown!

Last edited:
I'm not sure about that. Lots of guys cook beef ribs around here. Now if I can find some Aardvark ribs... :becky:

Yeah, but I've never seen beef ribs cut like that! Talk about meaty! Wow!
That and while a lot of people do beef ribs, I think they are still not as popular and to an extent Lesser Known. I wouldn't call a foul on them. I fear people are making it more restrictive than I intended. We've all heard of most cuts, some are just lesser heard of... I attempted to clarify my intent. Hopefully people will see this or that and be more encouraged to enter.

And thank you for the generous offer to get me in RD. I might just take you up on it one of these days. Right now the freezer is completely full of sausage I need to give away. :shocked:

Mmmmm, I really like the meat on your bone, Ron! Is is wrong to say that? Looks like brisket on a stick for dinner. You know I'd hit that!!!

Bob

Boy they look good! I have yet to attempt to smoke any type of beef yet, but threads like this are making me want to try! Nice job!

Boy they look good! I have yet to attempt to smoke any type of beef yet, but threads like this are making me want to try! Nice job!

Get yourself a nice chuck roast. Just do it. Not all that different from any other meats. Just gotta check temps and for doneness. Ribs may require a little more attention, but you can do em too. :thumb:

I grew up in the Southeast, which at the time meant strictly pork BBQ. These farkers here got me trying beef stuff like briskets, tri tips, chuckies, and beef ribs - pork is till "home" to me, but you gotta try some beef - yer only regret will be that you didn't start sooner. :thumb:

Wow Ron!!! Those look farking great! I dont thin'k I could manage more than one of them suckers either!!! :heh: Great job & thread Bro! Thanks!! :thumb:

Cheers

Back