• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

indirect heat on uds

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So, if i have a heat shield, such as a metal bowl about 12 inches above the fire, will i need extra coals to heat up the cooker since now it is indirect cooking rather than the heat going directly to the meat on a standard uds?

thanks

Meh? Depends how hot you run it...mine with clay diffuser, runs 230 w it, 270ish (at the same intake setting) without it but its a bear gittin HnF temps with it in. (its a16" saucer)

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

So, if i have a heat shield, such as a metal bowl about 12 inches above the fire, will i need extra coals to heat up the cooker since now it is indirect cooking rather than the heat going directly to the meat on a standard uds?

thanks

It's not about the number of coals, it's about fire management.

It's not about the number of coals, it's about fire management.
interesting. ok good to know. i will be adding this heat diffuser to my uds and i was curious the difference in heat temps. im hoping to find something that is wide than my charcoal grate so that no fat drips on the coals. haha

Here are a few random thoughts. What's wrong with your UDS that you need a difuser? A difuser causes your barrel walls to be hotter and given a winter condition coming, you will need to run a much hotter fire to maintain grate temps- so why do you need a difuser?

I found that when I insulate my barrel for the winter, I don't need as big a fire and therefore I don't need a difuser.

Here are a few random thoughts. What's wrong with your UDS that you need a difuser? A difuser causes your barrel walls to be hotter and given a winter condition coming, you will need to run a much hotter fire to maintain grate temps- so why do you need a difuser?

I found that when I insulate my barrel for the winter, I don't need as big a fire and therefore I don't need a difuser.

What do you use to insulate your UDS?

I learned from experience that the UDS without a diffuser runs about 75 degrees hotter in the center than near the sides. When cooking ribs (3 slabs on the rack) the center slab would be done perfectly and the outer slabs would be slightly undercooked. I remedied this by adding a rack above the fire basket and using a pizza stone as a diffuser or a heat sink. It now cooks at the same temperature anywhere above the diffuser and the meats are done at the same time without rotating them. I use the diffuser on everything except butts. I wrap it in foil so there is minimal clean up. It does use slightly more charcoal to maintain the temps but that is a minimal trade off.

I learned from experience that the UDS without a diffuser runs about 75 degrees hotter in the center than near the sides. When cooking ribs (3 slabs on the rack) the center slab would be done perfectly and the outer slabs would be slightly undercooked. I remedied this by adding a rack above the fire basket and using a pizza stone as a diffuser or a heat sink. It now cooks at the same temperature anywhere above the diffuser and the meats are done at the same time without rotating them. I use the diffuser on everything except butts. I wrap it in foil so there is minimal clean up. It does use slightly more charcoal to maintain the temps but that is a minimal trade off.

I love the idea of a pizza stone as a diffuser. It's what I plan to do as I build my UDS (or two) and I'm excited to hear that it works. You should still get some of that flavor from fat dripping and vaporizing-- obviously more than if you're using a water pan.

Just my $0.02

That was the whole idea and the reason I used the pizza stone instead of a water pan. You do still get some flavor from the grease dripping on the hot stone and I personally like that :thumb:

I love the idea of a pizza stone as a diffuser. It's what I plan to do as I build my UDS (or two) and I'm excited to hear that it works. You should still get some of that flavor from fat dripping and vaporizing-- obviously more than if you're using a water pan.

Just my $0.02

Have any of you guys done a brisket on a uds without a pan. Just the brisket on the grill and nuthing to catch the grease? If so how did it turn out?

I have done a lot of them over direct coals with nothing to catch the drippings and they all turned out great. I do them fat cap down so the fat creates a protective barrier for the meat. I have even done them hot and fast :thumb:

Have any of you guys done a brisket on a uds without a pan. Just the brisket on the grill and nuthing to catch the grease? If so how did it turn out?

What do you use to insulate your UDS?
reflectix from home depot Using the same piece for the fourth year.

"I learned from experience that the UDS without a diffuser runs about 75 degrees hotter in the center than near the sides"

I have 24" between my basket and grate and when I'm up to thin blue- I only have a 10 degree difference between 3" in and 12" in from the edge of the grate. I think the domed lids may have a greater variation as they require a hotter fire.

I bought a diffuser from a member here and it fits like a glove. It's solid in the middle and has cut outs along the edges to radiate the heat up along the sides. It's looks to be about 3/16 inch metal. As a coincidence, my charcoal basket is the same diameter as the solid inner ring of the diffuser. I'm thinking I'm still gone get some fat vaporization from the juices hitting the hot metal. Best of both worlds.

holy crap. so sorry for late reply. MATLAB is killin me. I need a diffuser or drip pan because i loath the taste of food with the fat smoke on it. It took me seriously like 10 cooks to figure out that it was the fat smoke i didnt like. haha. For some reason, my taste buds freak out. haha. I just need a good ole fat catcher that has the same diameter as my charcoal grate in the uds so that NO fat dripps on it. haha.

thanks guys

I just need a good ole fat catcher that has the same diameter as my charcoal grate in the uds so that NO fat dripps on it. haha.

thanks guys

Wally World has pizza pans, both large and small, in the pots and pans department. They're cheap and would make a great fat catcher for you.

Agree with Sly-one... Pizza pans work great, are cheap, and the perforated ones will still let some juice get to the coals. Even the non-perforated ones work fine, they just get gunked up a bit quicker.

Good Luck!

Saweet action guys. thanks soooo much. I dont know why i cant handle that flavor but it just not me. haha. Guess im goin to walmart tonight. ever since i saw that video last night in the wood pile. bbq has been on my mind.

Back