brand new performer question/issue

jjm9979

Found some matches.
Reaction score
been lurking a while, thank you to everyone on this site for the great info and ideas.

just got a performer, 3 cooks in and seem to be having an issue with the flame sputtering out after 3 or 4 minutes.

i have the bottom vents all the way open and the top ones 1/2 way open.

any thoughts on a fix? or just give weber a call?

Thanks again for all the great information here, hope everyone is getting something on the grill this weekend!

I think you need to leave the lid off when you use the igniter, that's what I do.

Yep, and an even better suggestion would be to get a Weber chimney. Just load the coals in the chimney and place over the burner for a few minutes. Then let the coals light themselves until they are ashed over and hot. Then you can dump them as you wish for the cook.

Yep, and an even better suggestion would be to get a Weber chimney. Just load the coals in the chimney and place over the burner for a few minutes. Then let the coals light themselves until they are ashed over and hot. Then you can dump them as you wish for the cook.
Ditto, works like a charm.

Like the colonel said, I always use a chimney, it makes it handy to fire up the UDS too.

Are you referring to the flame from the igniter? Or the flames from the charcoal once they get going?

Can you describe your process for getting it going?

Mine is open all the bottom vents, place the lid in the holder. Place charcoal in the baskets and merge the baskets together, so the center line is over the flame source from the igniter. Start it up and let the flame burn the charcoal for about 5-7 minutes, turn off the flame and then let the charcoal warm up for about 20-30 minutes. Then move the baskets to where they need to be depending on the method (direct/indirect). And then go from there, adjusting the vents as needed.

Are you referring to the flame from the igniter? Or the flames from the charcoal once they get going?

Can you describe your process for getting it going?

Mine is open all the bottom vents, place the lid in the holder. Place charcoal in the baskets and merge the baskets together, so the center line is over the flame source from the igniter. Start it up and let the flame burn the charcoal for about 5-7 minutes, turn off the flame and then let the charcoal warm up for about 20-30 minutes. Then move the baskets to where they need to be depending on the method (direct/indirect). And then go from there, adjusting the vents as needed.

For myself...unless using the indirect method, I never use the baskets. As to the Weber "chimney", I hate using newspaper as it leaves weird ash in the Weber, so I use the Weber fire starter cubes. Put three of them in the center of the grating, set the "chimney" full of charcoal over the lit cubes, and let burn until ashed over. Spread the charcoal out, let it set a few, and away I go....

Oh...and while of course my Weber has the lid holder on it... I never use it. I have a stand that I set the lid on, as I just don't like having the lid in the way when I am cooking....

And...last but not least, just because it isn't "flaming" doesn't mean it isn't cooking. If the charcoal is hot, you don't need "flames" as when it is flaming, it is hard to control the heat. Most good cooks actually have a spray bottle of water for when things start "flaming" up, as all you are going to do with high flames is char the outside of the meat, but not cook the inside....

SteveT

Back