Brisket Experiment

No, it is a brisket, and I buy my meat by the pound. What is wrong with you people in Memphis?

yes, it is a 14 inch round pizza 'stone'

Landarc's cooks: normally abnormal...always good.

No, it is a brisket, and I buy my meat by the pound. What is wrong with you people in Memphis?

yes, it is a 14 inch round pizza 'stone'

We're on the other side of the Mississippi and STILL too close to California.:becky:

I'm looking at the last pic posted and the time..... seems there will be no more pictures until dinner time? All of this teasing is driving me crazy! There are more cliff hangers here than an episode of Basketball Wives (not that I watch that :icon_blush:).

You're killing me over here Lando!
Nice experimenting going on!

In progress shot one...
brisket2-kettled.jpg

In progress shot 2...
brisket1-kettles.jpg

Interestingly, the bark is just starting to form, there appears to be some difference in color, but, I attribute this to the use of a 'Ring of Fire' arrangement with the coals, as they coals burn around the brisket, other parts will darken. The smell is incredible. I suspect this is more from the rubs than anything else. You can also see that there is bark forming and it has a nice texture, I am happy with how it appears currently. Did I mention it smells great?

Hmmm, an inconvenient issue has arisen, I thought I had all day to do this, now I need to go see an elderly aunt (4 hour round trip). So it looks like a split cook. This experiment gets even more interesting. I would normally foil and cooler, but, it appears that my coolers are not at home. I should have gone pure hot and fast, but, I thought I had all day. Harrumph!

i am looking forward to your thoughts on the injection and the finished hunk o meat

That there is a tough call. I'd probably wrap it, and throw it in the microwave. It isn't a cooler but, it's a closed environment.

I filled my oven with cast iron and pizza stones, heated it all up to 350F and shut it down. Brisket was panned, foiled and placed in there, sort of a tight fit. I am hoping it will slowly cruise down over the next three hours. The point was close, flat was totally in stall.

That would have been my next thought but, wasn't sure what you had to stuff the oven with. Should do the trick! I've wrapped them in foil and two towels, left them out on my kitchen counter and 2 hours later they were still over 120.

Kettle is firing up, I think I can get a couple more hours in before I leave. Going to 350F now I think.

It smelled so good, and looked so good, I almost decided to go ahead and slice it and eat some tough dry brisket.

Well, I am finally back from dinner, the brisket was sitting there in the oven, by the time I got back to it, it was luke warm at best. It also was tender, juicy and the fat and bark are incredible. I only tested the part with BigButz CowPow, as I already know that if I cook the meat right, the Simply Marvelous rub will taste great. The CowPow is also an excellent flavor, a little more spicy than I would normally go for with brisket, but, I am a little more sensitive to heat than most of you. Here are a couple of slices...
brisketsliced.jpg

brisketsliced2.jpg

I have done better photos, but, these really show the texture and look of the meat as it was sliced. It was really good. Not at all dry or tough.

All I can say is Dan, this brisket would take those tap shoes away from you.

Back