When to start cutting off valves on the UDS..

MrOneEyedBoh

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Alright, Im still trying to figure this UDS out. When I do the minion method, I put the lit coals in the center of the basket right?

Also, when should I close the nipples off? Ive been doing it around 200 and I think Im waiting way too long, because the temp will get to 300 almost. Yesterday it went all the way to 350+, I was like wahhatt..

And as a result I had one hell of a time getting them down. It took forever and burned through a lot of stubbs.

This brings my next question, I did pretty much run out of charcoal last night ( almost 1/2 basket ) but I noticed around 15 coals never lit. Is that normal with the stubbs, or is it just a possibility with the minion method?

Thanks guys!

Catch the temps on the way up. I usually shut one off around 175 and then wait till 200 to shut the other one. Yours might act different, so ya just have to play around with it. It's easier to catch the temps on the way up rather than letting them get too high and wait for a cool down.

Put your coals in the center of the basket of unlit coals.

I close mine when I get to 225. Mine will not rise much once I close it up.

Fill your basket up more, I usually have mine to the top. It won't go to waste if you close it up when you are done.

The Stubbs will burn just fine. I doubt it had anything to do with 15 remaining briquettes.

Good Luck!

I usually just leave only my ball valve open and let it come up slowly while i get everything else ready.

A lot of the initial temperature you get in your UDS will come from the amount of lit coals you put in in the beginning.

I did a brisket this weekend on my drum and this was how it went for me:
  • Two full chimneys-worth of unlit K-Blue in the basket with two fist-sized chunks fo hickory.
  • 1/2 of a chimney of 1/2 lit coals (1/2 lit means that the top briquettes were just barely lit on the corners) dumped on the top of the unlit coals and wood.
  • Temperature climbed to 300 almost immediately. I closed my nipples to 1.5 open and let it sit for 30 minutes.
  • after 30 minutes, temps were rock solid at 250 and stayed there for 8 hours w/o touching it.
Your drum may be a little different, but if you put too many hot/lit coals in your basket up front, your temps will be higher throughout the cook and it will be a bear to get them choked back down.

I usually just leave only my ball valve open and let it come up slowly while i get everything else ready.

+1

i don't ever use the 2-non valved versions unless i'm going for some heat (300+)

I usually start closing the valve as soon as i see the temp rising. Snuffing out lit coals isn't easy or fast and it can give you a foul taste. You'll get a feel for where you want the ball valve set, so if you go to that setting once the temps start comeing up you should be ok.
As for the unburned coals that probably has to do with their position relativeto the lit coals, and the direction of the air flow.

I usually will put in about 10 - 13 lit charcoals to start the minion method way. Just like Lookwow said I just use the ball valve to adjust and leave the other 2 closed.

Thanks guys. Next week ill try to do just the ball valve and leave the others closed.

So when I light the coals ( 10 or so ) just let the edges start to burn and then put them in the center of the basket? I was letting them ash over and then putting them in...

Should be more successful this weekend.

I spread my lit coals around the firebox, some center and the rest randomly around. Probably doesn't matter, but I usually have even coal burn.

Back