Another turn-in question

Slamdunkpro

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The use of insulated containers:

Over the last couple of years I've seen a trend for teams to use some type of insulated container to try to retain heat in their turn in box during the walk to turn ins. At first it was mostly side opening pizza carriers, now you see more and more custom fit multi fold multi layer packages that the competitor has to set down on the table and unwrap like they are exposing the Star of Kashmir. These can create a real bottleneck at the turn in table and in turn, slow down the entire judging cycle.

Should there be a requirement that the box needs to be naked by the time the competitor gets to the table?

I have never done a turn-in and my team doesn't use one, so I cannot be a judge of how big of an issue this is. Perhaps an easy solution would be to have a separate table to the side, but near the turn-in table for people to unwrap their 'Star of Kashmir' (hilarious btw) and then get in line? Just a thought.

If you are in line at the table, you are fine from a time perspective. If there is a line, it could nudge someone elses box, or your own if you are trying to un-box it before you hit the table.

I don't think it should be a "requirement", but sure it would be a nice to have. Personally, I would rather see those soft side 9x9 folding carriers, than the big two wide vinyl pizza carriers that eat up more table space, and side load...

If you are in line at the table, you are fine from a time perspective. If there is a line, it could nudge someone elses box, or your own if you are trying to un-box it before you hit the table.

I don't think it should be a "requirement", but sure it would be a nice to have. Personally, I would rather see those soft side 9x9 folding carriers, than the big two wide vinyl pizza carriers that eat up more table space, and side load...

From what I've seen most of the side load pizza carrier types hold the bag in one hand, pop the side, reach in, pull out their box and place it on the table. The carrier never gets set down.

When you have multiple people with unwrap type boxes, the competitors who've turned in before them can suffer as their food sits longer. This is more the case in the pork and brisket categories since the sort and distribute process gets more complicated.

Those type of carriers aren't used as much out here, so we haven't seen much clogging at the turn-in table because of them. We've never used one.

Sounds like yet another situation where some simple courtesy on the part of the teams would go a long way toward fixing the problem where it exists.

We use a four fold carrier at the larger contests or if we have a long walk. I dont think it keeps the food any warmer, but the ability to carry in one hand and open a door or keep someone from bumping into you has been a big help.

Somebody's wife made some real nice ones.:thumb:

Never used one. But I did get a pork entry to the table 5 minutes fast one time. Took off my apron and covered the box while I talked to the reps until the clock hit 12:55.

It did pretty good. It happened at the GAB Invite this year.

I am starting to see a lot more grocers offering insulated shopping bags for sale. Took a look a some and for $1.99 they would be great for running turn in boxes.

Back