Turkey legs, anyone?

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just picked up a case (30#) of Carolina tom turkey legs - $.65 per pound if anyone is interested.

That comes out to 15 legs per case - why do I need to know this you ask? Because it's real hard to set a price on an item when you don't know how many of such items come in the case!! :D

Anyway, 4 will go into the Weber tomorrow afternoon. I'm sure the others will make their way to the cooker over the next week or so.

The Southern Brethren are planning on selling these along with sausage on a stick at the Plant City cook off. We've got to show a "profit" one way or another. At least there will be no doubt in the inspector's mind which food is for what part of the event!

I got some turkey drums on the dera right now. Lookin good. When they're done I'll crisp them up on the kettle and slather 'em in sauce.

Never done turkey drums. Got a 7lb brisket point on right now and there is room for more so I thinks me will stop at the store after mass this morning and pick some legs up for the 'dera. How long do you smoke them?

Neil, Tim(kpndsl) says drummies are very good done 3-2-1. I don't eat them my self but I'll take Tim's word anyday, he's smart enough to cook with DF, he must know something!

Dave, One of my partners has seen turkey legs sold at concessions around here before. He said the price per ranged from 5 - 7 dollars each. Believe it or not. This was obviously at a large event. Smaller events I am sure you could easily get $4 and sell them all.

Greg;

That's what we're thinking! I'm a bit bummed that I can only get the 2# legs right now - I'd rather have 1-1.25 pounders - but that's what the phone is for. Eventually I'll find what I'm after.

But, we can show profit even with the bit legs and we'll sell a bunch of these big legs, too. I figure at around $4 we'd be right around 35% food costs - a bit higher than I'd like but with the size of these legs that's as close as I can get without going $5 or higher.

Was going to do turkey drums yesterday with my brsket and spares but opted for the turkey wings instead.

Back