Liquid Smoke uses

Is Liquid Smoke a reasonable ingredient

• Liquid Smoke's use is up to the chef--I will judge it fairly.

Votes: 31 46.3%
  • I avoid products with Liquid Smoke because I do not like the taste

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • I use Liquid Smoke when I feel it is appropriate.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • I will not consume any product with Liquid Smoke in it.

Votes: 4 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
I am interested in the Brethren view of the use of Liquid Smoke.

I have tried to present the full range of choices and hope to get some useful feedback.

I personally feel that it is a natural ingredient and the person developing the sauce, injection, marinade, or whatever is welcome to use it as they see fit.
The Marketplace will decide the results.

TIM

I don't see anything wrong with it and the food should be judged as is.

I use liquid smoke occasionally in soups, scrambled eggs & omelets, chip dips, tuna salad sammies, and when I bake fish in the oven.

I don't use liquid smoke on my BBQ. I leave the smoke flavor infusion to the wood smoke.

A couple of drops in a pot of rice with some sauteed garlic and green onions is mighty tasty:p

I have a bottle and use it once in awhile.

I do prefer the MSG enhanced Liquid Smoke though...

I use when I make my marinade for beef jerky. That's the only time it gets used around here.

I don't use it but do believe it is up to the chef. It sounds like there are some appropriate times to use it to get the flavor someone is looking for.

I think I read on this site that it is great on boiled ribs! :shock:

I use it to get my wifey use to the taste of smoke! Really! I use it on the steaks we quick cook on the gasser!

I've been known to put a wee bit in a pot of pinto beans, and never ever in my Q.

That's all I have to say about that.

I heard Harbor master uses it with Butter on his toast LOL made it home ok?

i dont use it because to me it taste like ash. Dont care if its in stuff though. Some products i find overuse it and i get that ashy taste.

I haven't used that stuff in over 40 years on anything that I have cooked. If someone else wants to use it that's fine, as long as it turns out the way that they want ..... more power to them.

I use it in my Beef Jerky marinade because I dehydrate it. For BBQ...I use real wood so no need.

I used it once when I grabbed it by mistake instead of the WD40.

Hey, it worked pretty good on getting that door to stop squeeking!!!

I have a bottle and use it once in awhile.

I do prefer the MSG enhanced Liquid Smoke though...

I heard Liquid Smoke was best when stored open after use at room temperature after being kept in a galvanized container... (somehow I think bees were involved)

Last edited:
Mix it with baking powder and it make a wonderful toothpaste!

The Missus uses a little bit in her BBQ sauce (which she still won't let me see the full recipe for)

And, you have to try this, a few drops in the water when you boil cheap hot dogs. It's actually pretty dang good.

Back