Lump will flare up in the drum when it's starved for air so do not close down the vents unless you are shutting down for the night. I agree that when you opened the lid you created a back draft effect. Try using a blend of lump and briquet's with the heavy side going to the briquet's. Also you need to change or calibrate that thermometer.

QDoc, what grease???

If you are refering to the drippings while the meat is cooking then the answer is it burns off in the charcoal and adds extra flavor back into the meat. Kinda recycled. I don't recall every having grease in the ash pan of my UDS. I guess if there was, it was mixed in with the ash so it would not matter anyway.

RE: Flame On!!!

Thanks for the insights and tips. I'll definitely work those into the next cook. <BillyG>

In the spirit of this thread - I thought I would show my present two barrels.
The silver one is wearing its "winter coat" and "above the snowdrift" intake.
The orange one is Alice Chalmers orange because thats what I'm currently restoring and had in my gun!!!
All my barrels have 2" exhaust and 1 1/2" intakes(running to the centre of the barrel). Thats a speaker magnet on the intake.
004.jpg
004-1.jpg

Well H2Oloo if you have not been welcomed into the drumhead fraternity I am doing that now. Love the winter coat, just glad my UDS doesn't have to wear one, stays in the Q shack.

got to love the matching grill brush too

thats what this UDS thing is all about

make it your own and have fun

I will be stealing the "use an old gasser frame" idea thats great

DID anyone else notice that the little sun above the Alice Chalmers orange is grinning , laughing he likes the smell of q and the insult to the old gasser too!!!!

Ok fellow drum heads - I was asked to teach a class and help people build their own drums. They are going to make donations for me to come out and teach the class. I'll be bringing my tools, etc.

I would like to use the powerpoint presentation from Norco (I think), Smokin' Gator, and all of your ideas. All proceeds are going to be donated back to the site or to the charity we're raising money for now.

I'm asking all of you since you guys are where I got it from, are you guys ok with this? I was going to give them a standard kit of things they will need but I thought about coming up with a standard kit, pricing it out, and then offering it to the class with the barrel so when they show up they just have to drill and assemble.

Thoughts?

Sounds Great to me. Shame Wyatt couldn't make it. You could be Tim Taylor and He could be Al borland (voice of reason).:biggrin: Bubba could put his nylons back on and be tool time girl.
deb36.jpg

Ok fellow drum heads - I was asked to teach a class and help people build their own drums. They are going to make donations for me to come out and teach the class. I'll be bringing my tools, etc.

I would like to use the powerpoint presentation from Norco (I think), Smokin' Gator, and all of your ideas. All proceeds are going to be donated back to the site or to the charity we're raising money for now.

I'm asking all of you since you guys are where I got it from, are you guys ok with this? I was going to give them a standard kit of things they will need but I thought about coming up with a standard kit, pricing it out, and then offering it to the class with the barrel so when they show up they just have to drill and assemble.

Thoughts?

Great idea Bob, but that will require "clean" unlined drums, unless your gonna have them do assembly and then go home and clean em out later.

Sounds Great to me. Shame Wyatt couldn't make it. You could be Tim Taylor and He could be Al borland (voice of reason).:biggrin: Bubba could put his nylons back on and be tool time girl.
deb36.jpg

Man was i HOT back then!! :cool:

they are going to be clean drums. Found a place I get them cheaper than my old place. I will probably be making their baskets for them ahead of time just to save that headache.

are there any problems using a non food grade barrel ?? the only ones I can find are non food grade:frown:

Not a problem unless you don't know what was in them.

Anyone having trouble keeping temps when using a Weber lid?

Anyone having trouble keeping temps when using a Weber lid?

I'm using a Weber knock off ( Pro BBQ ) lid machined to fit ( sledge hammer mod) and I was feeling that the temps were easier to maintain until this week end, but we have been having very wide temp changes in the weather here ( last week end was over 110 f this week end 65 f with rain ) but I had a harder time this week end - but was marking it up to wide ranging outdoor temps and humidity changes and my NOOB status

Back