• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Comp. Need Help

Jagerbomb5150

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I am thinking about entering my first competition in May in Redding Ca. Its called Pro vs. Joe. Any advice and what not to do? I need to know to help. I know I'm not going to win, I just don't want to look like a jackass. At the moment I only have 1 UDS but will be building another one soon. Any advice is welcome. Thank You in advance.

There's a bunch of posts, and I think even an open one in this section right now about first time competition.

Practice, practice, practice and practice using the precise timeline of the competition. Do a full mock competition practice run set up outside just like you will be at the competition, and don't use your kitchen. If you have to run inside, take note of why you had to do that so you won't be caught off guard at the actual competition.

I have my first one this weekend, so I can't tell you anything but what I have heard. What I do know is to try to make a uniformed box everything same size. Try and cook good and have fun. Good luck!

There's a bunch of posts, and I think even an open one in this section right now about first time competition.

Practice, practice, practice and practice using the precise timeline of the competition. Do a full mock competition practice run set up outside just like you will be at the competition, and don't use your kitchen. If you have to run inside, take note of why you had to do that so you won't be caught off guard at the actual competition.

Like he says Practice, practice, practice and practice. I have been cooking coming up on a year in preparation for this, But have been doing back yard on a brinkman since the early 90"s.

Make sure you have fun. Just go to learn as much as possible. Practice and read a lot of threads on here. There is a ton of knowledge on this forum. My first comp for this year is two weeks away and I can't stop thinking about it. My only goal is to finish in the middle of the pack. I am cooking an entire competition practice run this weekend to work on timing, technique and make sure there are no other issues.

do a search in this forum. there are a gazillion threads with all the info you need.

No matter how much you practice things will get sideways. What separates the good teams from the great teams is how those challenges are handled.

I've tried to find info on the competition but all i can find is past years, and from that is sounds like a grilling competition. It's hard to give advice without know if it is a grilling or BBQ competition, sanctioned or non-sanctioned, etc.

Do you have a link to the information?

Back