Backwoods Chubby - XXL charcoal basket

YokeUp

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Talk about pimping your Chubby... LOL... I made this new charchoal basket (on right) for my chubby to accomplish a couple things:
1. Extend burn time - with the added wall height (5 1/4" vs. 3")- should get closer to 10-12 hours out of a load
2. Better air flow - expanded metal sides allow smoother air flow through coals.
I'm happy to make one for ya $50 plus shipping, email me.

ChubbyBasket-292x396.jpg

http://www.yokeup.net/Chubby.html

Looks interesting. What kind of burn times were you getting? I'd love to hear how long you do get with this.

Looks interesting. What kind of burn times were you getting? I'd love to hear how long you do get with this.
With the standard basket, you can count on a 6 hr. burn. I'm burning it now, and have 5 hours on it and it's 60% full... we'll see how long it goes and I'll update the post.

OK, just checked the Chubby and without adding ANY charcoal, I got a burn of 11.5 hours at 250-270*. It's now at 200* I have to add that I also have been using a pizza stone on the heat diverter plate which is great at holding the heat for the water pan. With both adjustments, the cook time basically doubled from 6-12 hours.... Are you ready to order yours? :)

Back