Limited time frame - Sunday Baby Backs

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey All,

We're taking some Q up to a friend's place in the city (~40 min. from home) Sunday evening. I made Keri's beans tonight and am planning on heating them up right before we leave, then putting them in their oven for a few minutes when we arrive.

I'm also planning on 4 racks of baby backs for the dinner. Here's my quandry: I'll only have 4 hours at home on Sunday before we have to leave for their place. So, how should I cook the ribs?

If I do 2-2-1, and the "1" is coolered, then the coolering could happen on the way up to their house. If I do that, though, when should I put the sauce on them (during the last foiled hour?)

Or, I guess I could cook them dry (2-2-1 or 2-2 or whatever), then put them on the friends grill to heat them up and finish them off.

Anyway, what do you think would give us the best ribs when it comes time to sit down for dinner?

I know this is a newbie question, but it's ok. I'm a newbie and I'm trying to build a specific plan of attack. :icon_blush:

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Bret

Hey All,

We're taking some Q up to a friend's place in the city (~40 min. from home) Sunday evening. I made Keri's beans tonight and am planning on heating them up right before we leave, then putting them in their oven for a few minutes when we arrive.

I'm also planning on 4 racks of baby backs for the dinner. Here's my quandry: I'll only have 4 hours at home on Sunday before we have to leave for their place. So, how should I cook the ribs?

If I do 2-2-1, and the "1" is coolered, then the coolering could happen on the way up to their house. If I do that, though, when should I put the sauce on them (during the last foiled hour?)

Or, I guess I could cook them dry (2-2-1 or 2-2 or whatever), then put them on the friends grill to heat them up and finish them off.

Anyway, what do you think would give us the best ribs when it comes time to sit down for dinner?

I know this is a newbie question, but it's ok. I'm a newbie and I'm trying to build a specific plan of attack. :icon_blush:

Thoughts?
I don't think this is a newbie question . . . I've been around here for a while and I've never had the occasion to haul Q to a remote event, so I'm going to be interested in hearing what the brothers and sisters might have to say on this topic.

I think I'd smoke them sans sauce and then finish them up with a nice glaze on the friend's grill. But that's just a guess.

Do the 2-2-1 and put brown sugar and apple juice on, foil, in PRE-HEATED cooler. Cover with towels. Pull out when ready and sauce some and leave some unsauced (Like mine little to no sauce) Finish glaze and cut and serve. Beans also transport and keep warm in crock pot, or foil pan and oven as you stated.

I would wrap in foil and put them in a preheated cooler for the trip, then glaze and finish them on the grill when you get there to firm them back up from being in the foil.:-D

Thanks for all the suggestions. So I'm going to cook for 2 hrs at 225, foil for another 2 hours at 225, then cooler for the ride up there (still dry) and drop them on the grill w/ a little sauce for a few minutes. I appreciate all the advice. -Bret

Personally baby backs in the foil for 2hours at 225 and then in a warm cooler, would turn into mush, I would 3 hours on the smoker wrap in foil and towels and hot bricks in the cooler, should leave you with that bite off the bone texture, unless you like fallling off the bone ribs...

Not that this matters after two days, but I only go 2-1-1 with baby backs.

So how'd they turn out??

Hey,

No pron. Sorry. I was in a hurry to get up to the city to eat and I forgot the camera.

I ended up going 2 hrs naked and about 1 1/2 hours foiled. I coolered them and took them up to the friends' house. They were in the cooler about 1 1/2 hours before we threw them on his grill and basted w/ some KC Masterpiece for about 10 minutes.

They turned out really tasty. I used apple wood for smoking and I could taste it in there. It gave a really nice sweetness to the ribs.

They were a little tougher than I wanted them to be, but not bad at all. Next time, I'll probably do 2 naked, 2 foiled, then a few minutes back on the egg naked w/ sauce to firm them up. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm getting much more confident w/ this as I go. I think I'll try a brisket this coming weekend.

Bret

Will do. I'm stuck in town this weekend (on-call), so I'm planning on doing a whole bunch of yard work and a whole bunch of Q. I'm thinking brisket, butt, pork loin, fatties, and maybe some spares (I've only done baby backs so far.) I'll just freeze everything we don't eat and take it for lunches. Mmmmmmmmmmm...

Back