Desperate Times Mod

J

JacksonsDad

Well, it seems like everytime I try to smoke, something tries to get in the way.

This time, I wanted to do a brisket and a couple of slabs of ribs. Wifey is out of town next week and I thought I would do a brisket and portion it off into vacuum bags and freeze. Why the hell I didn't just wait until next week to smoke, I don't know.

Well, I do know, I wanted to take advantage of 70 degree temps we were having. So, I bought the meat, rubbed them down, placed them in the fridge and plopped down in front of the tele...

NEWS FLASH...winter weather coming in tomorrow, 40 degree temperature drop!

OK, not a prob, will get things on early and be done before the real cold stuff gets here. Just have to go out and find some good wood for the smoker. So, I wake up the next morning and...clients start calling and the cold weather moves in quicker than expected. OK, I know to you Northerners, 30 degrees is not cold, but to us it is.

So, it's now almost 7 PM and getting near freezing and I am just getting the meat on...at least it's not raining. I have loaded up extra charcoal and planned to try to leave the ribs on till 10 PM, then into the oven, the brisket till midnight if the heat and cook can last that long...then everything finishes in oven.

Any other suggestions??

You'll be ok if you get the 3 hours or so on the ribs and the 5 hours or so on the brisket. Just spray well and wrap tight in the foil. Also, you'll probably want the lowest setting on the oven (assuming it's electric - gas might be problematic) - also, if you can, set a large pan (9x13 cake pan is perfect) of water under the meat (between the meat and the electric heating element).

If the ribs are starting to pull away on the bone end - I'd just wrap 'em and put 'em in the refridgerator - otherwise you'll be guaranteed to really truly overcook them!

The smell will probably wake you up! :D

DFLittle said:
You'll be ok if you get the 3 hours or so on the ribs and the 5 hours or so on the brisket. Just spray well and wrap tight in the foil. Also, you'll probably want the lowest setting on the oven (assuming it's electric - gas might be problematic) - also, if you can, set a large pan (9x13 cake pan is perfect) of water under the meat (between the meat and the electric heating element).

Hadn't thought of a water bath, good idea! Thanks!

DFLittle said:
If the ribs are starting to pull away on the bone end - I'd just wrap 'em and put 'em in the refridgerator - otherwise you'll be guaranteed to really truly overcook them!

I hope to pull the ribs at 10, into oven till 12, then into fridge after they cool.

DFLittle said:
The smell will probably wake you up! :D

I hope so!! :lol: :lol:

Well, it's 1:15 am...pulled the ribs about 11:30...meat still wasn't pulling back, I was droppping all kinds of fuel into the fire and still couldn't hold good solid 200+ temps. The brisket just went into the oven to finish...the ribs are cooling before I refridgerate them till lunch time tomorrow wiht the brisket...leftovers go into the new vacumm sealer for later use....I'll report back tomorrow with the taste tests (samples have been good so far!) I tried 2 different tastes...on with generic mesquite rub and a good mop of Woody's Sauce(ribs) and another with a slathering of mustard and Gordon's Grub Rub, a sweet, sugar based rub(ribs and brisket). I am anxiously awaiting the later of the two....

When cooking at home I almost always finish in the oven after I foil. It just makes sense to save yourself the hassles on freezing outside.

Well...I won't reheat the ribs till lunch time...but I just pulled the brisket and the damn thing fell apart as took it from the foil to the cutting block...is that bad. :wink: I see almost a full 1/2" of smoke ring. Taste is good, just wish I had a little more bark, as I like that!

My problem is, it is almost mush...is that due to overcooking? I was able to scrape off the rest of the fat cap with a butter knife and the rest won't even hold up to slicing...will have to be pulled. Suggestions? Thoughts?

On it's way!

parrothead said:
Ya ruined it. Better send it to me for proper disposal.

Sure thing...anything my garbage disposal (me) won't take, I'll send on.

Am I right in assuming I overcooked?

I portioned it off and vacuum sealed some if it. Tried different ways...with extra juice, with sauce, without...even took part and pulled and cut it up with some of the fat and sauce and juice and marked it for sloppy joe's....the experimenting continues!

Ya hwve to expect the bark to be a liittle mushy if you foil the brisket. Its a trade off. What ive done a few times just to help the bark a little bit is to rempove it from the foil when its about 5 degrees shy of being done and then return it to the heat unfoiled. Personally, Id rather have a tender juicy moist brisket with mushy bark.... so i like the foiling... My bark will always scrap off the fat cap with a butter knife.. and for those brikets your slicing knife needs to be razor sharp so it slices it and doesnt shread it.

parrothead said:
Ya ruined it. Better send it to me for proper disposal.

I think you might need some help with the disposal, so call me when it arrives.

and for those brikets your slicing knife needs to be razor sharp so it slices it and doesnt shread it.

You will ruin your knife trying to slice brikets. Those are meant to cook with, and already come in a handy size that does not need to be any smaller. Kingsford makes some nice ones.

Back