My trip to Truth BBQ

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Another night of insomnia results in another BBQ field trip. This time to Truth BBQ in Brenham, TX. #10 on the Texas Monthly "best" list.

I wanted to try Blacks in Lockhart, but did not feel like driving that far. Went to Truths instead since its only 1 hour away. It's Friday morning, they open at 11, I got there at 10. First in line, again. I just hung around, took a couple pics and played on my phone. Tried to do a little shigging. I could see some seasonings in the smokehouse, but could not read the labels. But there was spritzing spray bottle of what was obviously apple cider vinegar, apple juice or Jack Daniels whiskey. You can pick. About 10:30 people started to arrive. At opening time there was about 20 people in line. Not really a "line" like at Franklin or Snows. Just everyone standing around near the door, when they opened the door everyone formed a line. Maybe on weekends or later in the day theres an official line, but not while I was there. I was reading about 1 hours waits, etc. Not in my case. When I left about 11:20, It was maybe a 5-10 minute wait, tops.

I was not super hungry, so I just got a sliced brisket sandwich and a potato salad. Then got ribs, brisket, jalapeno/cheese sausage to go.

I knocked out the sammich. It rocked and was everything a slicked brisket sammich should be. I squirted a little sauce on it, they gave me what looked like homemade slicked pickles and some pickled onions. Again..both great. Bun seemed to be home made and was good also. Franklin uses Mrs Bairds. Nothing wrong with that either. I knocked out the sammich, some of the potato salad and left

Then got home and did some sampling.

RIBS:
Truth ribs (the rub/spritz), tasted like Franklin ribs, but better. Truth ribs seemed a little more meaty and less dry. Maybe I just drew the short straw with ribs at Franklin and that's a possibility. But I only have the one trip there to go on. Truth ribs beats Franklin ribs in my experience and opinion. WINNER: Truth.

Brisket:
Like the ribs, the Truth rub seemed to mimic the Franklin rub and the flavor and tenderness was just as good as Franklin I thought. WINNER: Tie.

Sausage:

I got the regular sausage at Franklin and the jalapeno/cheese sausage at Truth. I thought the Franklin sausage was OK, nothing special and if it was store bought I would not have known. I have not got to try the Truth sausage because I am stuffed. It will have to wait till tomorrow. WINNER: ???? but I'm betting Truth.

Potato Salad:
I like plain mustardy potato salad. Truth's tried to get too cute with theirs. I understand theres a lot of good BBQ out there and you have to be different, but I was not a fan. Usually potato salad tastes like either mustard or mayo. This tasted like neither. It was odd. WINNER: Franklin

That said, it's my opinion that Truth BBQ is better than Snows BBQ,, and just as good as Franklin.

Attachments

• truth001.jpg
    truth001.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 93
  • truth002.jpg
    truth002.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 91
  • truth003.jpg
    truth003.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 92
  • truth004.jpg
    truth004.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 92
  • truth005.jpg
    truth005.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 91
  • truth006.jpg
    truth006.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Great post, the brisket sandwich looks delicious.

Very nice pics and commentary.

Back