Whole lamb

MAsQue

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Anyone ever cooked a whole lamb? I've been asked to cook one and it's a first for me.

photo.php

will be interested to see this if you cook one.

will be interested to see this if you cook one.
X2!!
We get solicited every summer to attend/purchase from the county fair youth animal auction.
Would be pretty cool to support a group like 4H and have a great feast.

I raise sheep and have been involved with a few lamb roasts. We typically do them on a large propane tank BBQ, indirect, for 6-8 hours. Rubbed with OO, garlic, rosemary, and S&P. Dead simple. They come out delicious!

Obviously a little background information would be helpful...

I've been asked to cook the food for a party. About 70 people. The host's cousin owns a farm and raises lambs. They would like to cook one for the party. The cousin will slaughter and butcher it; I'll season and cook it. My pit is also a large propane tank and can easily hold the lamb, halved or otherwise (I can see where halved is easier.) From what you guys have said, it pretty much sounds like you're cooking it for roughly the same amount of time you would a small pig. Do you shoot for a uniform well-done, like you would with pork? Do you take the meat off the carcass and pull it like pork? Or have you tried to slice some parts and pull others?

Thanks for the help.

Lamb is not usually pulled, as it does not require a temperature as high as a hog to be fully cooked. If you try and get to a "pulling" hog temp, you'll get a very dry result as Lamb is a much leaner animal in general than a Hog. If you are doing a neck or a shoulder, you can get it pulled, but only if it's done VERY SLOW, like 7 hours in a Smoker or sealed clay oven.

Another thing to be aware of is the age of the Lamb... or Sheep, as it is called on the hoof.

The older the lamb, the better the flavour and the longer the roasting time. You can do a "kid" in 2 hours, but Mutton will take 7+

Depending on the age of the animal, you will have to serve cuts appropriate to that animal.

You need to ask the age of the lamb before you start cooking.

Let me know as soon as you can.

Cheers!

Bill

Bill,

This party is scheduled for July 4th weekend, so I have no idea of the size of the lamb (sheep?) yet. I'm just rying to get an idea of whether and how I can do this. I also find myself, lately, turning the turn indicator on at least 2 miles before I make a turn.

Brian, get those damn kids off my lawn mode.

Bill,

This party is scheduled for July 4th weekend, so I have no idea of the size of the lamb (sheep?) yet. I'm just rying to get an idea of whether and how I can do this. I also find myself, lately, turning the turn indicator on at least 2 miles before I make a turn.

Brian, get those damn kids off my lawn mode.

I often cook whole Lambs flattened ,Sometimes halved , direct over coals .
I always allow at least 5 hours,if cooked early,I portion and park it in an Esky.
As Bill said ,I wouldn't pull it.Serve it portioned ,ribs and cut chunks.
cheers.
Titch

Back