Rookie with a brisket, need advice

S

Smoke Show

My wife brought home a 4lb brisket today. I have never cooked a brisket before, so I'm looking for any advice I can get. I'm going to smoke it in my UDS. I tried using the search function on here, but came up with nothing.

Use the google search at the bottom of the page, you will find a ton of results. A 4 pound flat is smaller than anything I have ever cooked but here is my advice.

Rub it and cook on the UDS at 275 or so fat side down. Wrap in foil at about 160 degrees internal. Start checking for tenderness at around 195. When a probe slides in without resistance wrap it up and put it in a dry colloer for an hour or two. Take it out and let it rest aor about a half hour then slice against the grain. You should be good to go.

Even just salt and black pepper makes a great rub. Good luck.

I have found that 275F does not work for me for a small brisket, I have done better under 250F (yes, I know, seems like a small difference). Other than that, what Brian said will work. I do not foil, but, I rarely cook that small of a brisket. Foiling feels like the right idea to me.

I do like the Night Train experiment as a learning process that does produce a tasty meal at the same time.

For a brisket that small I use a combination of what Brian and LanArc have suggested.

Cook it at about 250. Popping a chunk or two of Cherry or Hickory every hour until a probe slides in without much resistance (~5-6 hours / 195 deg). I then remove from the smoker, wrap in foil and then in a couple of beach towels and then throw in a cooler for about 30mins.

Thanks guys. I am going to use your suggestions and see how it turn out. :thumb:

This must be a 4lb trimmed brisket flat. Chances are there is very little fat cap on it. Correct? If that's the case I'd really consider going even lower on the temp, maybe around 225 degrees. It's going to cook fast so you've got to watch it.

If all the external fat has been trimmed, I have covered the top side with bacon strips.

Back