Freezing Pulled Pork?

H

hydramax

Who freezes it ,how long does yours keep in freezer.I seem to have lots of leftovers lately cause Smoking is habitual.

Get yourself a foodsaver and vacuseal your leftovers & they will last for a couple of years. I just froze 8 lbs. in 1 lb. bags from my last cook. Then when I want pulled pork nachos I pull out a 1 lb. serving, or tacos or a sammie...you get the idea.

Get yourself a foodsaver and vacuseal your leftovers & they will last for a couple of years. I just froze 8 lbs. in 1 lb. bags from my last cook. Then when I want pulled pork nachos I pull out a 1 lb. serving, or tacos or a sammie...you get the idea.
Ya know, I hate when he is right....

I save it all the time (brisket & spare ribs too). In fact I have a small group of friends that I cook for and that's how I deliver it to them...

Ditto. I even make 1/2lb servings. Grab from the freezer to my lunch bag. It thaws in there with a cold pack and 6hrs later I reheat in the microwave in the bag. Open and enjoy the coments from coworkers as I walk away from the breakroom.:biggrin:

Have a vacuum sealer just quit using it few years back,laziness more than anything lol

Have a vacuum sealer just quit using it few years back,laziness more than anything lol
I don't think a cook goes by that I'm not vacusucking something....

ok, I'll go to the penalty thread now....

Sometimes or should I say most times vacuum sealing actually makes food taste better. Especially smoked food.

Sometimes or should I say most times vacuum sealing actually makes food taste better. Especially smoked food.

I agree it always seems to taste better after it's been in the fridge or freezer.

I have an old Food Saver in the basement somewhere. Now if I could just find it............

Yep foodsavers are great. I make mine in 6oz packets and then put in water and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes and it's time to eat!!!!!!

I like the boiling water better then the microwave, it just seems more moist and closer to how it was right out of the cooler after its rest.

This is definitely the way to go ^^^^^^^^.

As everyone else has said, Papa Hog is correct. Vac seal it then pop into the freeze. I've boiled and I've microwaved these frozen wonders and I think I prefer the boiled method for reheating over microwaving. As for how long can you store it? I think most vac sealed items can go 1 to 1.5 years without issues, but I've never had anything make it more than 2 months.

I say vacpack too, but do it from the get go. In other words, right off the pit, set some aside, cool it, vacpack it right away and then freeze it. Don't pull the pork leave it out and then pack it as leftovers. It's a sanitation issue. I know I might be stating the obvious, but, honestly, it really isn't always obvious to some so I think it's worth saying.

I say vacpack too, but do it from the get go. In other words, right off the pit, set some aside, cool it, vacpack it right away and then freeze it. Don't pull the pork leave it out and then pack it as leftovers. It's a sanitation issue. I know I might be stating the obvious, but, honestly, it really isn't always obvious to some so I think it's worth saying.

I always shred mine, some gets sauced, some is left plain. After I shred it I will divide into 2 1-gallon sized freezer bags, one that contains the sauced pulled pork & one that contains the plain pulled pork. I then stick it in the fridge overnight to gel the juices & the sauce for cleaner vacusucking.

I have never had anyone get sick from my frozen stash, most is reheated, but I have thawed in the fridge & eaten it right out of the bag as well.

The last time I thawed out some pulled pork, I warmed it in the oven until it was supper time. I had some time to kill or I would have used the microwave.

I finally found my FoodSaver. I have the old Foodsaver compact II. Its more than 10 years old and has been packed away since 2000. Still works and seems to do a good job as always. Got some rolls today at Sams. Even found a few bags from pre 2000.
If they still build them like they did, they last a long time.

Back