View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
Thanks oldbill, I am leaning towards the jambo. I will keep the wsm and my bbq guru for the overnight smokes. I do enjoy tending to the fire and I agree with you on several points about learning the art of pit mgmt. I think all I would need to do with the jambo is have Jamie add locking casters to the stack end of it. I looked at the gator and others that have 1/4" steel vs jambo 3/16 but I don't believe that will make a ton of difference. The I insulated fire box is a lot of $$ on the others and they appear to be 20x48. Is the addition of the second level grate on other offsets a worthwhile thing? The jambo backyard only has the single level grate.
Yeah, overall I think that you're making the right decision. 3/16 steel is still a pretty good thickness that will give a good thermal mass and temp control, especially when combined with the efficiency of an insulated firebox. As far as the second level grate goes, it's nice to have that second level if you find yourself needing a little more capacity for a large get together but there are racks available that are actually made to sit on the cooking grate and give extra capacity when needed, (imagine a small table made of expanded steel with little legs that can easily be added or removed from the cooker). I would say that you would find yourself not needing the second level very much anyway and would end up removing it most of the time to keep it out of the way. You could probably go to almost any good metal fabrication shop and have them make you a rack in any shape or size that you need, in fact Jamie could probably make one for you pretty easily.