View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbill View Post

You'll definitely have to tend to the fire in an offset. You can't go to bed and get up the next morning to instant BBQ like you can with a Pitmaker. Knowing how to work a fire and exactly when to feed it or stoke it is part of being a "pitmaster", which is why I enjoy offsets so much. It makes that awesome brisket or those amazing ribs that much more rewarding when you personally have so much more to do with the results other than loading a basket with charcoal and a couple of chunks, setting a Guru and going to bed, then waking up to see if the BBQ fairy came by while you were sleeping! BBQ is an art and a tradition and unfortunately it's getting lost in all of the gadgets and technology we have now. So as I step off of my soapbox I would suggest that you get the Jambo and learn how to use it. I think that you will fall in love with BBQ in a whole new way.
^ This is great advice. Yes, offsets require attention (some of us call it fun) but a quality pit like a Jambo will teach you fire management but minimize the agony. And you do have some options: get a digital wireless thermometer like a Maverick or iGrill, set the alarms any you will be able to get 2-3 hour naps on overnight cooks; or, cook hot & fast, start at 9:00 am with coffee and serve great brisket or butt by 5:00.