• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Outside metal on vertical smoker?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am getting ready to order the metal, and not sure if I should use 16 gauge and weld it, or 20 gauge and use sheet metal screws to attach the outer skin to my insulated vertical smoker.

Inside will be 1/8" steel with 1" 16 gauge tubing.

Also, if I weld it, do I need to make any vent holes in the bottom tube incase the insulation picks up moisture?

When I built my 2 insulated smokers I used 18 gauge on the outside. on one I welded on the other screws. I like the screws better as it is easier to get it off if there is a problem. No vent holes.

When I built my 2 insulated smokers I used 18 gauge on the outside. on one I welded on the other screws. I like the screws better as it is easier to get it off if there is a problem. No vent holes.

If you were to build another one, and had quite a bit of 20 gauge metal, would you use it, or still use 18 gauge.

My smoker is only 2X2 X 3 foot high so the amount of metal is not much, and exterior metal will not be expensive so if 18 gauge would be better, will go that route, if its just a sheeting to hold in the insulation and both will work equally I will use up some of my 20 gauge.

Thanks for the reply

I am guessing screwing sheet metal to the 16 gauge tubing will require drilling. I have never attempted it but guessing the self tapping sheet metal screws will not work for this, am I correct?

I am guessing screwing sheet metal to the 16 gauge tubing will require drilling. I have never attempted it but guessing the self tapping sheet metal screws will not work for this, am I correct?

I would use the 20 dauge if it was already laying around and did not have to spend money. But would probably put a flat bar brace in half way. just to give the wall a little support. as for the self-tapping screws they will work just fine. I use the ones with the hex head and no problems. no pre drilling needed.

Michael

I used 1/8" rivets and looks pretty good. You can always drill out the aluminum rivits if you need to. They also look better than screws. When welding you will have to worry about warping if you weld it solid. If you go with self tapping screws you would not need to pre-drill 16G metal. I would go with the 18G, the 20G will dent very easy. Good luck!

Back