Corn Dogs ?

My sister loved the Alton Brown recipe

At some fairs around here they have Grange Pups. Basically pancake batter instead of cornbread. Just throwing it out there in case you wanted to try something different.

As CD's was, this is also out of Texas Monthly. I've made this recipe a few times, we really like them. Even though at the buttermilk ingredient in the recipe it states you want it kind of thick I didn't think the batter was thick at all.

Texas State Fair Corn Dogs

1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cornmeal (the pale-yellow floury stuff, not the stone-ground polenta type)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted bacon drippings
1 egg, beaten
1 to 1 1/3 cups buttermilk (you want the batter to be kind of thick)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 package of wieners (we liked Applegate’s Great Organic Uncured Beef)
oil for frying (we used peanut)

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add bacon drippings and mix well. Combine egg, buttermilk, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until smooth.

Heat 3 inches of oil in a heavy, deep pot to 375 degrees (be sure to use a thermometer, as proper temperature is key). Dry the wieners with paper towels, then impale them with bamboo skewers (get the ones with the pointed ends), leaving enough room for a good grip. Dip each dog in batter to coat, then fry in hot oil until a shade past golden brown, turning as necessary. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with—need I say it?—yellow mustard

Back