• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Help with beef ribs

pmezo

Reaction score
Looking to smoke some beef ribs this weekend on my weber smokey mountain, but have only ever done pork ribs, so I'm looking for some help doing some beef ribs.

The beef ribs I get are already pre-cut. I've never seen whole slabs dinosaur bones like i've seen in some of the pictures here. The one's i get are similar to the ones in this picture.

Any tips how i should go about smoking these? Am i shooting for an IT or is it a feel thing like with pork ribs? What pit temp and for about how long should i shoot for?

Those look like short ribs from here. I cook mine with a little mesquite. I run my kettle at ~325-350. Season them up with some SPOG and maybe some worcestershire sauce, cook them til they have a nice bark on them, wrap in foil, continue til probe tender, and you are good to go. Last time I did these I think it ran about 4-4.5 hours.

KC

Yeah... just doing a little digging around and I've definitely got short ribs.

Do I have to do them that hot? Looking to do some spares or baby backs too and I usually smoke those around 250-275.

I did my first beef ribs a couple of weeks back on my WSM and kept the temp at around 250. Used KB and cherry lump. And I filled the water pan with water. I seasoned them with Black Ops. I pulled them at around the 5 hour mark, wrapped them in towels and put them in a cooler to sit for about an hour.

They turned out pretty good for my first time. The taste was great, just a little bit too much of a pull when I bit into the meat. Next time I think I will push the pit temp higher and pull them when they probe tender (similar to brisket).

Hope this helps.

Brian

Looking to smoke some beef ribs this weekend on my weber smokey mountain, but have only ever done pork ribs, so I'm looking for some help doing some beef ribs.

The beef ribs I get are already pre-cut. I've never seen whole slabs dinosaur bones like i've seen in some of the pictures here. The one's i get are similar to the ones in this picture.

Any tips how i should go about smoking these? Am i shooting for an IT or is it a feel thing like with pork ribs? What pit temp and for about how long should i shoot for?
You might be able to find slabs at a good butcher shop near by. I get mine from a guy just outside of town and he actually cuts them off of a rib roast for me. They are the best ribs I've ever eaten beef, pork or otherwise and although they are a little pricey they are well worth it! Imagine smoked prime rib with a handle! OMG!!! I use a variation of the 321 at about 250 with them and begin probing for tenderness during the fourth hour. Some guys do them high and fast but I like to take my time with them as these are pretty good sized ribs with a lot of meat on them. When they probe tender I pull em' and they go into a dry cooler for an hour or two to rest. Don't need sauce or teef to eat that beef!!!:wink:

So when you guys say to probe for tenderness. Just stick a toothpick in and it should feel like pork ribs? Don't even bother with an IT then?

I think I'll just shoot for 250-275 and start checking it around 4-5 hours and see how it feels. No wrapping either? I typically don't wrap my spares or baby backs. Don't like my ribs too mushy... i like some bite.

So when you guys say to probe for tenderness. Just stick a toothpick in and it should feel like pork ribs? Don't even bother with an IT then?

I think I'll just shoot for 250-275 and start checking it around 4-5 hours and see how it feels. No wrapping either? I typically don't wrap my spares or baby backs. Don't like my ribs too mushy... i like some bite.

Sounds to me like you're good to go as far as method is concerned. I haven't done them cut apart, so maybe check them a little earlier - wouldn't hurt to check at 3 hours just to see what's up - ya can't uncook 'em, know what I mean? I don't wrap either btw. Short rib is getting to be my favorite cut of beef. :thumb:

Should be able to handle this. Thanks for the tips guys. Much appreciated.

For a rack of beef back ribs I go 325. For short ribs I:

275 for two hours

foil with liquid for 1.5 hr

sauce and back on for 30 minutes

Back