gas grill help

4uweque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a friend that wants to buy her husband a gas grill for Fathers Day. I suggested a Weber but apparently they are mire expensive than she wants to spend. Any ideas for a well built gas grill on the budget end of things? I don't have a clue, I don't use them.

Try to convince her that a Weber is worth it and will damn near last a lifetime and is more than worth the price? That's the best recommendation I've got.

sorry weber. they are made just better and last

I have never owned a Weber before but plan on buying a Weber Genesis as a replacement this year. This comes at your advice and recommendations. Prior to this, I have had good luck with the Sears models---those especially using a Cast iron burner. My problem has always been in replacing the flavorizer? drip bars. I did notice recently that some of the burners and unts are guaranteed for 7-10 years. The pricing was similar to that of a Char Broil, Grill Master, Sams Club etc. If she is looking for between 300-500 I would try Sears model. The Weber Sprit though is about the same price and easier to find parts if needed.

You didn't way what her budget is or how big of girller he is. From the sounds of things, they definitely want to spend well less than $500 and it doesn't sound like they intend to to much more than burgers, hot dogs, chicken and some steaks. If that is the case, the Weber Q 300 series grills might be worth looking into.

Tell her to leave it in the box so its easer to gift wrap and to save the receipt if he dose not like it.
Then tell your friend to return it and buy a weber. :becky:
Problem solved!

if they cant get a weber they should at least look for a stainless steel gasser. i'd suggest they look for a weber on craigslist, they pop up all the time. most other gas grills will rust out in no time. there are lots of ways to get automatically notified when something you want pops up on craigslist, btw. i use ifttt.com

Charbroils are decent grills for the price, and though they won't last as long as a Weber, I've heard plenty of good things from reliable sources.

I'd say the budget is $350 or so. Mostly cooking burgers and dogs for kids and sometimes steaks. Nothing serious but I don't want to steer her wrong. Heck I use a Weber Kettle and don't understand wanting gas. But she did ask...

Weber! anything else is a waste of money.
I just looked and it seems they changed there line up $$$. I see nice older ones on CL
for cheap. Or just get a Weber Kettle that's what I'm buying for a friends daughter for her wedding gift

If she needs to get a cheaper gasser, she will need a cover for it. It will last twice as long that way.

Charmglow is a decent cheap gasser. I have had one for about 10 years and it is still going.

Charbroils are decent grills for the price, and though they won't last as long as a Weber, I've heard plenty of good things from reliable sources.

I got three years out of my stainless Charbroil "Commercial" gasser. After three years, it still looked good on the outside, but rusted to the point of no repair on the inside. What a waste of money that was.

For another hundred bucks, I could have bought a Weber Genesis, and I'd be enjoying my tenth year of its use. My dad's Genesis is 12 years old, and lives on the back porch in Houston. My grill cost me over a hundred bucks a year. My dad's grill has cost him $42 bucks a year -- so far. It is still chugging along, so the cost per year is going down every day it lasts. So, what is the cheaper grill? Clearly, it is the Weber Genesis.

If I ever buy another gasser, it WILL be a Webber Genesis. Period.

CD

If she's set on going cheaper then I STRONGLY suggest she get it at a place that has a very good replacement warranty. HHGregg Lowes or home depot have good ones. I like HHGreggs warranties over others if she has one close.

I recently bought a weber q120 for 159 i can tell you its darn worth every pennies, so get a weber q120 you wont regret :-D

One can find nice units on CraigsList from time to time. But 'used' may not have that charm that a new unit has.

Just my two cents worth.

I just mentioned this the other day, but I had some <$100 special from Walmart in our old apartment for 5 or 6 years. Finally completely rusted out, and I had it covered. I replaced it with the Weber Q200. For being a "portable" grill, it worked really well. Especially with the Weber stand.

We ended up moving a couple years later and I upgraded to a Weber Genesis line. THAT is a nice machine. Heavy, solid. The Q200 is now my tailgating rig, and it works really well for that.

If she doesn't want to spend the $$$ for a Weber grill, I'd have her buy as big of a Q as her money would allow. And the cart to go with it.

I am about to relpace my gasser soon. I have had a Charbroil. It has lasted me 10 years. Burners are about to go out now. Great grill for the cost.

Look for stainless steel burners and stainless steel body construction. Lots of good units out there besides Weber.

Back