Ribeye roast vs Prime rib cooking advice needed

pahutchens

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I wanted to do a prime rib but the prices were more that the holiday wallet can take. Costco had a good looking Ribeye roast so I thought I would go with that. Lots of threads on prime rib. I'm pretty sure the ribeye roast is close, just trimmed more.
This will be Christmas dinner.

What should I do? does it need injection, (or would it benefit)

Was looking at smoking at 225 about 8lbs estimate for prime rib was 4 hours, as the ribeye is smaller in girth time estimates would change but to what?

Thanks for any advice and a Merry and Blessed Christmas to you farkers. I'll be checking the thread between work shifts.

225 for about four hours should work. I use a pellet smoker and start out about 200 for two hours and then bring the temp up to 325 for about an hour and a half. The Rib Eye roast is wonderful, but I do miss the bones for making soup later. As far as injection, I do not use it although I know a lot of people that do.

Same.

Standing Rib roast is what is typically used for Prime Rib. It is bone-in usually cut from bones 13 -17.
Rib roast is typically the same meat, but cut from the bone.

cook lo & slow (210 - 225) until 125 IT then rest. (about 3-4 hours)

You still have a good thing here, personally I would treat it the same as well. If it were me I would rub it with a salt, black pepper, and garlic rub, then coat it liberally with Montreal steak seasoning. Go onto the pit smoke your temp sounds good and using a thermometer pull off the heat when you have an internal of 120-125 yeah I agree about 3-4 hour cook time, let rest to 130ish. You may even want to do a sear on it after you reach 120.

Just becuase it's a few ribs away from the center isn't going to distract from the taste, only you will know that it didn't have the label "Prime Rib". I don't know about you but I don't put the market label on the table when I server my family.

place some 1/4's of garlic inside thur knife slits and cork the hole shut with salt pork.........lay some good fatty bacon on top to self baste......Never cook the center past 125 Before set time. (easier to make one slice "well done" for some one, than to try and take it Back to done right ...imo)

Last edited:
Here's a small one I did in the oven a few days ago. You can easily cook it
at a lower temperature with excellent results. You can also very easily
cook it on a grill or smoker, and avoid using the oven. There are countless
variations for cooking a Prime Rib (rib roast) but this may give you a good
place to start.

Prime Rib, oven roasted. - YouTube

Last edited:
Anyone here ever use one of those "showtime rotisserie ovens" to do a prime rib or ribeye roast? Friend just gave me one (compact) and I'm dying to try something on it.

Anyone here ever use one of those "showtime rotisserie ovens" to do a prime rib or ribeye roast? Friend just gave me one (compact) and I'm dying to try something on it.

I am sure it will work. You will just have to check for temp. I would test a small one on it and then work up from there.

As stated before, prime rib and ribeye roast is the same. The differences come in trying to decide between large end or small end, bone in or bone out. It's all a matter of taste. There are lots of good threads on this website.
Also, consult this link:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/..._Newsletter_December_20_2010&utm_medium=email

I tend to favor low heat for rib roast. Actually, it's about the only thing I cook at 225*. Since I expect lots of rib roast pics, I may as well get it started.

IMG_4578.jpg

Ok Gore you're killing me with that pic. How big was that roast and how long did it take at that temp?

As stated before, prime rib and ribeye roast is the same. The differences come in trying to decide between large end or small end, bone in or bone out. It's all a matter of taste. There are lots of good threads on this website.
Also, consult this link:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/..._Newsletter_December_20_2010&utm_medium=email

I tend to favor low heat for rib roast. Actually, it's about the only thing I cook at 225*. Since I expect lots of rib roast pics, I may as well get it started.

IMG_4578.jpg
Truely inspirational.:thumb:

It was a couple years back. I generally cook to IT between 120 and 125* internal, then take off for 20 minutes while I open the vents and increase the Primo temp to about 500*, then sear. Usually, we do a 4 bone-in roast (I like the small end as you can see). I usually plan 4 1/2 hours total for the cook.

The main point is the lower the smoker temp, the more uniform the roast. I did this at 225* and you can see the pink goes almost to the edge. I also remove from the fridge about an hour or two before putting it in the smoker, so it can come to temp (this also helps with uniformity). Of course this is personal preference. Some people like the outer cap to be more done than the inside. Rib roast is VERY easy to cook.

I love the uniformity but I won't have 4 hours to cook mine on Christmas unless we eat at like 8pm... Next time I'll shoot for that great color.

Here's a small one I did in the oven a few days ago. You can easily cook it
at a lower temperature with excellent results. You can also very easily
cook it on a grill or smoker, and avoid using the oven. There are countless
variations for cooking a Prime Rib (rib roast) but this may give you a good
place to start.

Prime Rib, oven roasted. - YouTube

The term "prime rib" is not in reference to the USDA "prime" rating, but rather refers to the roast being a "primal" cut.

If you do on a smoker, do you use wood like you would say for ribs? Or are you mainly just indirect cooking it?

Thanks for the info. I've got a three bone rib roast on order for Christmas, I was planning to cook at 350 but I think this may have swayed me to a lower temp.

Gore, the roast looks delicious.

Thirdeye combined a bunch of data on cook times for rib roast. One of his posts is here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1773051&postcount=2

I reproduce it here:

Via countless emails, I have collected a bunch of information which appears on the prime rib how to page on my site for this very question. I use low pit temps too for the same reasons you mentioned, so I asked readers to send me their times and temps. Most of these were cooked on a BGE or Primo Oval, but it will put you in the ballpark. Where you see a range in pit temps, I had multiple responses for the same weight roast, but the cook times were about the same. (this was most likely due to the diameter of a particular roast, of mayby the pit temp drifted a little during the cook)

Be sure to allow for carry over temps while resting the roast. All of the times below are when the roasts came off the cooker.

4 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 2 hours to reach 125°
5-1/2 pound roast - 230° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 125°
6-3/4 pound bone-in roast - 250° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 125°
7 pound roast - 250° pit temp - 3 hours 40 minutes to reach 123°
7 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
8 pound roast - 250° - 275° pit temp - 4 hours to reach 122°
10 pound roast - 220°-228° pit temp - 3 hours to reach 120°
11 pound roast (4 bones) - 215° average pit temp - 4 hours 54 minutes to reach 125°
14 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hours 30 minutes to reach 125°
15 pound roast - 220°-250° pit temp - 4 hrs 50 min to reach 127°

Note that some of the data points are a bit odd (like the 10 pound roast).

The term "prime rib" is not in reference to the USDA "prime" rating, but rather refers to the roast being a "primal" cut.

Everyone keeps saying this, and I believe it to be incorrect. The roast isn't a Primal cut. The Rib Primal is huge and contains lots of different cuts of meat. You couldn't really cook the entire Rib Primal successfully. On the episode of Good Eats dealing with this Alton Brown says that if it isn't a prime grade of beef it is a "Standing Rib Roast", everyone just calls it "Prime Rib". Sort of like how all facial tissue gets called "Kleenex" even though it's a brand name. I believe it is branded "Prime" because it's a nice cut of meat. They don't call it a "Prime Bottom Round Roast" because it's not a primal cut and it's not really a nice cut. It's a sign of stature. Prime comes from latin origins Primus and Italian Primo, meaning first or number one.

Finally, I'm including one more copy of a post that shows the difference in cooking temps from lowest (225* in this case) to highest (325*). Again, all the results are great (I actually like the outer cap the way it is done at the higher temp), but the important thing is that you know what the different temps will get you and that you choose accordingly. There is no right or wrong way to do it, just personal preference. Prime rib is hard to screw up and will taste good pretty much no matter what you do. :thumb:

I generally cook at a lower temp for rib roasts ~225* and I use oak. Always there are questions about temperature and I just want to point out that the lower the temperature, the more uniform the roast will be. If you like a uniform doneness throughout, cook it low. The higher the temp, the more done the outside and redder the inside. There are some pics in this thread for comparison:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96828

This one is done at 225* (reverse sear) and you can see the pinkness goes nearly to the edge:

IMG_4578.jpg

This one (courtesy of Ron_L) was cooked at 275* and the edges are slightly more done:

IMG_4172.jpg

This one was cooked by Boshizzle at 325*:

picture.php

taken from this thread:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105163
Notice that the outer segment is much more done than the inside. Every method is great, but you can see they produce a different product.

Back