UDS blanket options

I think it was 6* sub zero wind chills. PBC (old style and old now therefore qualifies as almost UDS imho). Ran just like it always does. No coat. Total cook time about 6.5-7 hours. Was still red coals at 9 hours. Think high temp at End was 20*??

Last edited:
I've never worried about covering a UDS or WSM in cold weather. The marginal difference in fuel consumption isnt worth the hassle.

The only time I have needed an insulator is due to wind. I run a diffuser plate and have a thin barrel. A couple Thanksgivings ago I had a hell of a time getting my UDS above 300*. I went as far a pouring out the charcoal basket and starting with a fresh basket of coal, thinking the old coals got wet possibly. I fought with it for a while before I realized it was the fact that it was in the 20's and wind was 20-25 knots. Luckily I have several old wool blankets from my military days. I folded one in half and wrapped the barrel. Ran tape around it a few times.

The temps came right up and held at my target of 325*. I kept the blanket on there the rest of the winter, just out of laziness, without a problem. In the summer when I peeled the blanket off it was charred and brittle.

So, in my opinion, if the wind is up and outside temp is low, you will need some type of wind block. Not necessarily an insulator.

With enough intake and exhaust. I am able to hit over 700* in single digits no problem. No blanket.

Back