Brisket suggestions?

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK my 7 lb. flat briskets have been on since 4:30 am. It's now 12:10 pm. Both are right at 160 degrees internal temp. The problem is they have been at that temp for close to 90 minutes to 2 hours now. Pit temp is about 235 degrees. What's the deal? Why aren't these things moving on towards 170 so I can foil them? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to the "hang" point.

Be patient Grasshopper! :D

DFLittle said:
Welcome to the "hang" point.

Be patient Grasshopper! :D

LOL! OK, maybe I'll fire it up good and tell the wife to wake me if the low pit temp alarm goes off on the Nu-Temp! LOL! I'm beat!

If you've got all these hours in the smoke and you have to have the brisket at a set time: consider taking it out now, foiling, and putting in the oven at abou 250-275 - I almost guarantee it'll take off within 3- minutes and be at 180 or better inside an hour.

Just a suggestion!

The plan is to eat dinner at 6pm. That's 5 1/2 hours from now. What do you think? How long is this hang point going to last?

hang points can last up to 3 -3.5 hours... then they climb 2-4 degrees every 10-15 minutes. Once you break 5 degrees past the hang point. DO NOT GO TO SLEEP!!!! You in the home stretch.

Now you tell me! LOL! Fell asleep when they were at 166... woke up about 45 minutes later to a 190 degree pit temp and 161 degree briskets! DAMN!!! I've GOT to stay awake!

Wrap them in foil, put them in a 250 degree oven set your probe for 185 and get some sleep. Won't be any fun if you can't stay awake to see folx enjoying your meat!!!

Mista's right. Foil them, put'em in the oven and go to sleep. they got plenty of smoke now anyway. Only think i would do different is set the oven to 225.

I'm farkin DONE! I foiled them, lowered them in the smoker and cranked up the fuel. They shot from mid 160's to 183 in a matter of ten minutes! I took em out and coolered them!

Around 5:30, I'll take the ribs out of foil and put on the gas grill for a quick glaze of Q sauce and serve 'em up with some sliced brisket at 6!

What a nice mess to clean up... then I shower and catch a couple of hour's sleep if possible while my wife cleans house! I've done my work for the day, damn it!

OK, Jeff............you should be good and rested now............what's the verdict?

I posted in my "splits" thread but here's a brief summary:

Ribs were outstanding but the brisket had a bit too much smoke flavor to them. Had nearly a half inch smoke ring on the meat. Looked pretty but I think it made some of the smaller ends of the meat a bit harsh. Moisture-wise, it couldn't get much better! It was a lot better than the first one I did in early February when the brisket came out a bit dry.

Next time, I'll not let the pit temps drop below 200 by me falling asleep! That should mean I'm keeping charcoal on them rather than having to try to quickly raise the temp by tossing in splits of hickory! Lessons learned...

I never pull my brisket from the smoke. I've found that 1 to 1.5 hrs per pound for whole brisket works perfect. Never had a problem with being too dry or too smokey. I use mesquite wood for brisket and leave it in the smoker the entire time for the extra thick and chewy bark. 1/2 inch smoke ring is ALWAYS the norm for me. My guests rave about it. A 3 to 4 hour hang time on the temp is about right. Hang in there dude. Nobody said smoking was easy!

Nobody said smoking was easy!

Neither is pimpin' :mrgreen: I know very well about lengthy hang time times. Stared at a farking nu-temp at Phil's for like 2-3 hours at like 1:30AM before it budged a degree.

Ok...doing brisket today.

I foiled mine at about 166...is about 188 now...have had good pit temps at about 200 or a little lower...damned thing has only been on for 8 hrs...and was a full sized untrimmed brisket.

Anyway...I'm reading, and don't see in many of the threads I've seen..at what temp you pull off the smoker after foiling and putting into the cooler.

Do you take ya'lls to 200 and then out..or just 190?

cayenne

As I was told on my cook on saturday, serve on sunday thread, take the brisket out when it is tender and do not worry about temps. I was told to start checking for tenderness at 180 degrees. I took them out then the probe went in with no resistence. For 1 brisket that was 195, the other was 200.

jgh1204 said:
As I was told on my cook on saturday, serve on sunday thread, take the brisket out when it is tender and do not worry about temps. I was told to start checking for tenderness at 180 degrees. I took them out then the probe went in with no resistence. For 1 brisket that was 195, the other was 200.
Jack, you are one quick study, my friend! Kudos!

in foil pull at about 190 to 195.The theroy is the longer the hang time the better,don't rush it. Also try to keep your pit temps steady throughout the process,if your temps move up and down alot it affects your cook times etc.

Wiliam
Woodhouse Gril

***** Edited by Administrator. Link removed. Please refrain from cross posting or posting links to other BBQ forums when answers can be found on this forum. ***** Thanks. :)

Brisket threads abound here on BBQ-Brethren! :D

Once the brisket gets to 185 or so you can usually safely foil in at put it in the cooler - the temp will normally continue to climb for another 10-15 degrees and then start to slowly cool. This is where a lot of the "magic" of cooking brisket comes from - the colligen and connective tissues will continue to break down the high moist heat - the brisket will be more tender after 2-4 hours in the cooler than if you slice it immediately after removing from the cooker at 195-200. :D

Hang time is a bear - we got hammered at Mobile and even though our cook temps stayed pretty constant the colder ambient air and the cold brisket temp at the beginning of the cook cost us dearly! Our briskets (3 from 2 different sources) never did get above 160 before we had to foil and try and finish off -- they just didn't make it!

Needless to say I've got leftovers that will be going back into the oven at home and slow cooking for a while to finish tendering up!

Back