Helljack I have your address and will send it out at 8:00 a.m. sharp and will overnight it. Free of charge. Only thing is maybe you could send it off to another brother if they need it or keep it, it's up to you.

Really nice and thoughtful of you Skidder to do that for a Brother. Kudos to you. Everyone needs a drum.

Here is my Drum #2.

Three vents:
1 is a 1/2" nipple
1 is a 3/4" nipple
and 1 is a 1" ball valve

P6280105.jpg

On the first drum I found that 1 - 3/4" nipple was too much and a full open 3/4" valve on the riser was not enough to maintain temp.

Did the first test cook/season yesterday and that 1" valve in conjunction with the 1/2" nipple worked great. Here's what we had

P6280107.jpg

Some burnt ends, my first, the pit seasoning basic fatty and a tube steak for the little boy.

This doesn't show well, but here is the pic of the thermometer at 250*

P6280106.jpg

and a close up of the found in the trash Weber Top, with the edge pounded flat and then rounded over to fit the drum. Works like a charm.

P6280108.jpg

Maybe some ribs today.

Very nice work there Smokin' D! I tell ya these things are fantastic I haven't used my WSM since I built mine. I'm working on another as we speak.

Very nice work there Smokin' D! I tell ya these things are fantastic I haven't used my WSM since I built mine. I'm working on another as we speak.

bob
another one?! how many you going to bring to southwick?

i'm with you on how great these are. you may see a wsm on craigslist soon!

richard
great looking drum there. you did the same thing i did with a donor weber lid. works great!

Scott I'm with ya on that. I think mines going up for sale also. I should have two UDSers at Southwick.

Really nice and thoughtful of you Skidder to do that for a Brother. Kudos to you. Everyone needs a drum.

Here is my Drum #2.

Three vents:
1 is a 1/2" nipple
1 is a 3/4" nipple
and 1 is a 1" ball valve

P6280105.jpg

On the first drum I found that 1 - 3/4" nipple was too much and a full open 3/4" valve on the riser was not enough to maintain temp.

Did the first test cook/season yesterday and that 1" valve in conjunction with the 1/2" nipple worked great. Here's what we had

P6280107.jpg

Some burnt ends, my first, the pit seasoning basic fatty and a tube steak for the little boy.

This doesn't show well, but here is the pic of the thermometer at 250*

P6280106.jpg

and a close up of the found in the trash Weber Top, with the edge pounded flat and then rounded over to fit the drum. Works like a charm.

P6280108.jpg

Maybe some ribs today.

Nice lookin' pit bro! :p I need to get some paint on mine pretty soon...what did you use on yours? It looks brushed on...I like it! :biggrin:

Nice lookin' pit bro! :p I need to get some paint on mine pretty soon...what did you use on yours? It looks brushed on...I like it! :biggrin:

Thanks. It is brushed on paint. I used Rust-o-leum High Temp paint.
Got it at HomeDepot. $12 or $15 bucks for a quart. Painted two drums three coats each and there is still enough left for one more barrel. Cheaper and a better look than an amateur spray job, plus the volatiles are a lot lower than the spray can stuff. Also its available in any color you want, as long as that color is Black!

Helljack I have your address and will send it out at 8:00 a.m. sharp and will overnight it. Free of charge. Only thing is maybe you could send it off to another brother if they need it or keep it, it's up to you.

Pay it forward brother, pay it forward. It'll go to the next brother that needs it after me.

Thanks. It is brushed on paint. I used Rust-o-leum High Temp paint.
Got it at HomeDepot. $12 or $15 bucks for a quart. Painted two drums three coats each and there is still enough left for one more barrel. Cheaper and a better look than an amateur spray job, plus the volatiles are a lot lower than the spray can stuff. Also its available in any color you want, as long as that color is Black!

Cool...did you sand and prime first...or just sand? :p

First time builder here. 233 pages down... parts acquired around page 150. Scored a barrel off of Freecycle, used to hold chocolate. Out of curiosity, I ran the wire wheel over the lining, and it's coming right off to the bare metal. Barrel pron to be coming a little further into the build, and expecting to do a Frankenstrat type paint job after the first cook.

First time builder here. 233 pages down... parts acquired around page 150. Scored a barrel off of Freecycle, used to hold chocolate. Out of curiosity, I ran the wire wheel over the lining, and it's coming right off to the bare metal. Barrel pron to be coming a little further into the build, and expecting to do a Frankenstrat type paint job after the first cook.

Remember, no pics, it didn't happen. :-D

I want a weber lid to increase capacity on my UDS. I cant find one anywhere but I was in walmart and saw a uniflame kettle for 40 $. It would be worth it if I could recycle the food and charcoal grate into a 2nd UDS....what do you guys think? Are the parts sturdy enough?

UDS 2 and 3 will have a Charbroill lid (see pic). For the barrels I found they are a perfect fit. use whatever works. I'm using the grates for my baskets and the handles as well. I paid $30 ish for each used.

I don't like the cheapy vent that they use but I might block off the vent with a circle of metal and go with drilled holes like a flat lid which will remove any hot spot problems or try a large chimney as close to center as possible. Maybe cut out the chimney hole using the old vent location.

drums.jpg

So mad.....

I measured my barrels this weekend while I was plotting where various holes are going. My barrel diameter is 23 1/2" so I need to come up with something for a modified dome lid. I've seen it before where you could just buy replacement weber kettle lids but I can't remeber where it was. HELP!!!! LMAO.

Helljack parts sent for ya. If your Weber lid doesn't fit think about maybe cutting the drum rim every 1" and bang it in with a hammer till it does fit.

I measured my barrels this weekend while I was plotting where various holes are going. My barrel diameter is 23 1/2" so I need to come up with something for a modified dome lid. I've seen it before where you could just buy replacement weber kettle lids but I can't remeber where it was. HELP!!!! LMAO.

Here's a possible fix to consider since your barrell is a bit wider diameter than the lid of a Weber kettle. If you can obtain a stock flat lid that fits your drum, you can cut out about 22 inches of it and just keep the ring. That ring goes on the tip lip of the drum to make the diameter a little smaller.

Another possible fix is to just get the ring that holds a standard barrel lid on the the barrel. Cut off the bolt ends of the ring and weld the ring to the inside of the barrel. If you don't weld then drill and pop rivet. Anyway, the effect is the same; to make the inside diameter smaller so the Weber kettle ring fits.

This is the best I can explain it. I hope its sufficient.

Started reading this thread and needed to built a drum smoker since page 4. Question I bought the cheepo uni flame walmart 22.5 grill and the lid just about fits. Do i bent the crimp on the lid straight out and let it sit flat on the lip of the drum or does it have to over lap the lip of the drum in some way to lock it down? If I straighten it out it looks like it will sit right on the top of the drum lip.

Thank you

IMG_3376.jpg
IMG_3375.jpg

Back