Iphone compatible thermometers

Frank Mahovlich

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anybody have any recommendations or feedback? Was just thinking how slick it would be to be able to monitor temperature from anywhere by using my phone. I'm not a big tech guy, so I am a bit curious as to how accurate & reliable such a thermometer might be. Thanks in advance for any feedback...

Inexpensive ones (< $200) use Bluetooth, so you have limited connectivity.

More expensive ones (~$400) use wifi and can be setup to view anywhere you have a data connection.

What is your budget and what is your true expectation for remote monitoring?

I use the iGrill, and it seems to be accurate. Got it as a Christmas present and when used side by side with my Maverick, they were 1 - 2 degrees off from each other. I just checked, and they are around $80 on Amazon.

I'm never really more than 40' away when I smoke (but at least 1 outside wall will separate myself and where the thermo is), so I never tested to see how far I can get readings.

I use the Stoker from Rock's BBQ and then run the StokeMaster app on my iPad. It works great for me.

As far as accuracy, the Stoker is dead on accurate for me and it's around 7 or 8 years old. It's been worth every penny I've spent on it.

-NCGrimbo

(As a full disclosure note, I wrote and sell StokeMaster on the Apple App store.)

I also have an iGrill (I got it during the AT&T closeout). It works alright, but I still prefer a Maverick.

iGrill works so so. I also have the older model. Not sure about the new model, haven't used one yet. Like the post above, I still prefer the Maverick.

The reviews aren't the best for the original igrill, but the igrill mini has good reviews. I preordered the igrill2 that comes out in May. Looks just like the mini, but has rooms for 4 probes.

Maybe a foolish question but I'm not much of a techie either. Can the Stokemaster app with the Stoker read from anywhere?

I have the igrill , connectivity sucks, go with a maverick or just spend the extra on a stoker or guru

Maybe a foolish question but I'm not much of a techie either. Can the Stokemaster app with the Stoker read from anywhere?
It can be setup to be monitored from anywhere with an internet connection.

I am a pellet guy and on the pelletheads forum this is a review and talk about another such device called tappecue. More info here:

http://www.tappecue.com/

I am not affiliated with it. Personally I don't like it because it reports to their servers and you get the info off their servers. If your internet at home drops down or out at a comp with no internet connection it is hard to use.

Neil

I got the old model too (price matched the closeout @ bestbuy), it works with android devices too...

the wgrill works that woodpelletsmoker sells here and on ebay. i think they are about $69 plus shipping. you can search wgrill here or on ebay to find them.

I bought a iGrill off amazon almost a year ago as it seemed like a great concept. Got 6 cooks out of it and then it stopped working properly(numerous miss readings, locked up a few times, etc). Tried a few different things including replacing probes however never worked consistently again so I tossed it.
Got a Maverick ET733 after that and have been happy since...
Might also want to check out the reviews on amazon as well as are usually pretty good.

Thanks for all the input. I already have a Maverick 732, and it's been an invaluable tool. I'm a weekend-warrior type smoker, and I don't have any designs on doing any competitive contests or anything like that, and I don't want to spend a small fortune (wouldn't spend more than $150 or so) on any type of automated temp controllers. I have had far better results on my WSM by cooking low & slow. I have young kids and it's not often that I get an entire weekend day to stay home & monitor a cook. That's why something I could check temps on remotely would be so convenient for me, as it seems being on the go all the time makes low & slow cooking for me a bit tricky at times.

Thanks again for all the feedback, much appreciated.

get a web camera and point it at your Maverick in the house

login into the camera from your iphone and read the temp of your Maverick.

the igrill mini works a heck of a lot better than the original. i received one for Christams, however it shipped with a bum battery and only netted me a few cooks. have yet to replace it.

Back