UDS Weber Lid and Flange Mod

daven8844x

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi, I recently completed my UDS and cooked some of the best chicken I have ever had using the UDS. This board and the plans I found are really wonderful. Just have one question regarding the flange mod. The Weber flange that I cut from a 22.5" kettle fits over the rim of the drum and sits on top of the rim so the rim of the flange touches the rim of the drum. There are some areas, however, of slight space where the diameter of the drum is slightly larger than that of the flange. Smoke will definitely leak through the space.

What I am wondering is if I put a Weber lid on the flange, will that typically cover any such space? In other words, are we just trying to make sure the flange sits on the rim of the drum (and does not fall in)?

I would try it, but I beat my lid to crap trying to bend it to fit around the drum before going with the flange mod. The drum was a tad too big for bending the lid and now my Weber lid is completely useless. I got it from a heavily used kettle I picked up for $10, so no biggie, but I want to know whether the lid will cover the space before I go out and locate another Weber (and drop another $10).

Also, I do not have pics, but I made an enhancement to the flange mod that may benefit some. I basically cut three 1" tabs into the flange and bent them upwards to form brackets for the top grate. This way I only have the brackets (and indeed I only need the brackets) for the upper grate when I use the Weber lid (if I can get the Weber lid to fit :). So no need to drill more holes in the UDS only to have brackets that get used with the Weber lid (for those that swap lids). Thought I would share.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi, I recently completed my UDS and cooked some of the best chicken I have ever had using the UDS. This board and the plans I found are really wonderful. Just have one question regarding the flange mod. The Weber flange that I cut from a 22.5" kettle fits over the rim of the drum and sits on top of the rim so the rim of the flange touches the rim of the drum. There are some areas, however, of slight space where the diameter of the drum is slightly larger than that of the flange. Smoke will definitely leak through the space.

What I am wondering is if I put a Weber lid on the flange, will that typically cover any such space? In other words, are we just trying to make sure the flange sits on the rim of the drum (and does not fall in)?

I would try it, but I beat my lid to crap trying to bend it to fit around the drum before going with the flange mod. The drum was a tad too big for bending the lid and now my Weber lid is completely useless. I got it from a heavily used kettle I picked up for $10, so no biggie, but I want to know whether the lid will cover the space before I go out and locate another Weber (and drop another $10).

Also, I do not have pics, but I made an enhancement to the flange mod that may benefit some. I basically cut three 1" tabs into the flange and bent them upwards to form brackets for the top grate. This way I only have the brackets (and indeed I only need the brackets) for the upper grate when I use the Weber lid (if I can get the Weber lid to fit :). So no need to drill more holes in the UDS only to have brackets that get used with the Weber lid (for those that swap lids). Thought I would share.

Thanks,
Dave
I have the exact same question as you. Did you come to any conclusion? I read that some people put fireplace gasket around the flange to fill in any gaps. If you have any additional information on how you got your lid to fit, please let me know. Thanks

I got my gasket at the Ace Hardware here in Vermont. If it isn't in stock, I bet they can order it for you.

Thanks,
Dave

Instead of the Weber Lid I got the BBQ Pro Lid, which is the same size as the Weber Lid, and the flange comes with groove which holds the grate in place, so no need for any additional holes/bolts for holding the extra grate. I got the entire BBQ pro grill set at Kmart for $30, which includes the grilling grate and charcoal grate which can be used to make the charcoal basket.

I'm gonna get you all for Patent Infringement.

Take a look at this post:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1808790&postcount=7

I just use some Permatex High Temp silicone gasket to build up the ring if it doesn't happen to fit correctly. None of mine are a permanent mount as I really feel that the drum lids work better than the Weber lid, but I like using the rotisseries and cook a lot of beer can chickens and like the added height the Weber lid gives me.

One thing to remember when using the Weber lid is to rotate it during the cooks, because meats cooked directly under the vent will cook faster and hotter.

Back