Why I love Weber Kettles ......

great thoughts

I bought my first one in 1977 as a senior in high school. My friends all thought I was nuts spending $40 on a grill!!

they changed their minds quickly

The one thing I wish they still included was their recipe book, it had a lot of good tips and recipes. Most all the basic questions asked here were answered in that little book!!
I have a pdf of "49 recipes for covered cookin" from 1971, but i do not know how to upload it. It is 6.73 MB.

I only have a few Kettles Lol.
DSCF0790_zps1842f256.jpg

All hail the versatile Weber Kettle! They last a really long time even when neglected but they are also so cheap on CL. You can give one to every friend and family member so you'll be covered wherever you go. :)

I love my kettles. They are my go to cookers. I use them more than I use my UDS for making bbq. Hands down will always keep at least 1 kettle with me.

I love my smokers, but my kettle is like a member of the family. I use it 3-5x as often as anything else, and make just about everything outside on one or more of my cookers - usually the kettle.

It's such a great versatile cooker that can be had for the price of a cheap-ish gas grill and out cook ANY gasser.

Yep I grew up with Two kettles on our patio, got my first one when I bought my first home, a gift from my Dad. When my son bought his first house I bought him a 22.5 for a house warming gift, he already had a 18.5 inch kettle I sent him off to college with, last night we went a picked up his NEW Weber Genesis Gasser to stand along side that kettles.

I have started using the kettle instead of my UDS for shorter cooks like poultry -- working with the charcoal is easier in the kettle than lowering the basket down into my UDS.

I couldn't agree more. Grill, smoke, roast, indirect, sear. So versatile. I too always say if I could only own one cooker it'd be a kettle hands down. When I'm standing there flippin burgers on my early 70's Red Head, the feeling I get, well it just don't get any more American than that!

Weber kettles, sliced bread and night baseball..in that order, mho.:-d

I've cooked everything I grill or smoke on a kettle for over 30 years. Everything else, I cook on my second kettle. Never cooked anything over 20 lbs, though.

Tonight I cooked up some 2 inch thick prime sirloin steaks with new red potatoes, and a cast iron skillet of garlic mushrooms, all on my old standby, a '98 green Weber Mastertouch kettle.

I was thinking to myself, I could recreate this meal at so many places I like to spend time. There are kettles at my dad's place, at two hunting camps I frequent, at my sister's, and at several of my friends house. I also have a jumbo joe when the need arises on vacation.

If I have a bag of Kingsford, a handful of apple wood chunks, and an 18 1/2 or 22 1/2 inch Weber kettle in the area, I can cook most of the things I can think of.

I love kettles. They are so versatile.

See my post on "Chicken skins" http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2895111&postcount=54

I remember my dad grilling on a Weber when I was a kid. We still have that same Weber at the ranch. I think it is a 1985 Weber. I now have multiple Webers and use them weekly.

I have a Weber OTG...22.5"...and I love it. There isn't a better grill to learn the basics of heat and smoke. I like to split the charcoal grate in half with a hickory split, lump on one side and a foil drip pan on the other; and use different woods on the lump for my smoke (the split always gives it some hickory). Then I just keep the exhaust vent over the meat so even though I'm cooking with indirect heat...the smoke has to travel right over what I'm cooking. Yep...love it!

When I first found this site, I went out and bought a Weber 26. I learned how to smoke on it, control temps, fire, smoke, etc. I believe one should master the kettle before moving on to a bigger smoker. You just learn so much. I love my kettle and will keep it until the day I die. (I'd love to score a 70's era redhead someday - the grill, that is - ahh the nostalgia)

I initially mainly used my kettle for grilling and just recently started smoking on it but wanted more capacity so went to an UDS. I do love my kettle/webers though. Got one in College which I gave to my roommates when I went into the military then in 29 stumps bought another weber and its been with me since, albeit banged up, dinged and wheels/legs modded so they stop falling. Controlling the temp for smoking was fun and now going to an uds it is so easy.

I love my Weber kettles, and now love them even more since I got 18 and 22" round sets of GrillGrates! (and now a GrateGriddle!)

I probably use my BGE more just because it's on the deck though, sorry Weber!

In fact, just rescued one from someone's trash pile on the curb not long ago. Just need to replace the grates and the vent assy.

Back