• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Quantity vs. Full/Half Pan Questions

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Apologies - First time preparing pans for transport.

How much (in terms of lbs) chopped pork do you expect to fit in a Full 4-inch deep stainless hotel pan without "mounding over" too much?

I've got about 36 lbs and 2 x 4-inch deep pans ready.

Thoughts?

They'll hold that much for sure.

I started thinking ... is 36lbs AFTER cooking? If so maybe not.

I can typically hold two decent sized butts pulled per full pan with no problem and some room leftover is how I arrived at my statement.

Last edited:
As a follow-up:

2 x 4 inch deep full pans hold about 33 lbs of pulled pork with a touch of "head space" under the foil.

Just my two cents......

Keep in mind that if you are serving, a packed hotel pan will hold a lot of meat when heaped and slightly compressed.

Remember people eat with their eyes and consequently take more than they can eat.

So if guests are helping themselves, I prefer to us 2-1/2' deep pans. I like to keep the pork loose and not packed together to prevent waste from people taking more than they can eat. When the pan is packed in a deep pan and they help themselves, it doesn't appear they are taking as much as they do, and the pan seems to be endless in volume.

Give a shallow pan with loose pork, people don't tend over eat with their eyes and have it go to waste. Keep in mind that you can always put another tray out when one starts to get low.

Back