Santa Maria BBQ

Don't forget the red oak! I picked up a 1/4 cord yesterday. I'm on the Central Coast visiting a sick Family member and decided to take advantage of the opportunity.

EB1C9CF6-orig.jpg
[/IMG]

Went to the shop to check her out today, going to be a thing of beauty when all done. Here are some more pix. The builder has some crazy talent and knowledge.

I've given him the basic concept and pretty much let him run with it. He's added a heat element for smoking. There will be a door in the front that will allow the wood chip tray to be removed. The try will ride on angle iron to be able to slide in and out. There is a stack that will eventually vent the smoke. The bezel for the thermometer was a late addition that really makes it stick out. There will eventually be diamond plated shelves and a front shelf that can be raised or lowered.

The next step will be to add the "C" channels for the grating to be raised and lowered. The plan is to cut a couple slots to allow the grate to be lowered just above the flame to get a nice sear. The wheel is going to look great on it when installed.

She should hopefully be done next week. I'll post more pix soon. Can't wait to bring her home and fire it up!

Last edited:
I am a little concerned that you aren't going to have much distance from the heat source to your meat. Either you are going to have to burn down to coals (1+hour) or put a very small heat source in in order not to torch your food. I am assuming you will have a fire box above the electrical thing to hold your wood which probably means you have a max of 8-10 in inches from fire to food. You will definitely want to cook on one side with the heat on the other so the heater in the middle may be in the wrong spot.

yea, i'm confused. if yer using wood, why the need for a heating element ? i ssume you will cook with the lid up most of the time.

Thanks for the feedback. The location of the element has yet to be determined. Placement was mainly for picture purposes. I will suggest placing it towards one of the side rather than the middle. Once complete, there will be a low profile tray placed above the element to hold wood chips. I will also suggest placing the element as low as possible. There will be a grate placed as low as possible to hold wood. And yes, I plan to mainly cook with the lid open. Though not traditional to a Santa Maria style BBQ, the heat element and lid will add a couple different elements to it.

Last edited:
Will the accumulated wood ash be difficult to clean out from around the element or do you have a plan for that? I've seen propane & electric "kindlers" on SM pits, but typically shielded in an area off to one side. Looks like a nice pit!

To keep the oak wood burning efficiently, you might require a bit more airflow inbound & outbound. Lidded rigs are great, you just have to allow the oak to burn fairly aggressively. When too much oak wood doesn't burn right, the smoke becomes sour and very strong - perhaps creating an off flavor on your meats.

If you're using charcoal, you should be fine - just wont be a SM pit anymore.

just my .02 - looking great so far.

OakPit, thanks for the feedback. The element will be covered by a shield. Hopefully it won't be to bad to clean. We'll cross that path when the time comes. The air inlets have not been put in yet. There will be 2 put offset to the center.

Getting Closer

It's been a little since I've posted any updates. This was sent to me earlier today. She's starting to look pretty good!!

Last edited:
I love the pictures and the talent of this BBQ build. I have built a few and used hundreds of different pits over the years----and sometimes see small problems. It is dificult to build a pit that can be used for grilling, smoking, and electric smoking--but I think it can be done.

The first problem I see has been mentioned by someone else. To achieve proper grilling temperature either the grilling surface must move up or down or the firebox must move up or down. If neither move then a waiting time is required to start grilling until the coals are "just right" and then the coals only stay "just right" for a short time. If the grill surface is close to the bottom of the firebox then stick firewood can not be used--only small amounts of charcoal.

If grilling is the only type of cooking done on a pit such as a "Santa Maria" style pit then grease drippings simply drip on the fire and burn up.--However if the pit is closed down and used as a smoker then grease will drip on the coals and make smoke that is not desireable in smoking. If the coals are placed far to one side --and the meat far to the other side--then grease will drip and accumulate on the bottom of the firebox--and possibly cause a very undesirable grease fire.

An electric burner with a chip tray can work good for smoking--but only IF that is the only way the pit is ever used. Otherwise ashes from charcoal or wood will cover the electric element--or grease accumulates around the element. Anything used for smoking should have a method for grease to drain off.

Also when building a pit it is important to remember that you will be the person cleaning it--make adjustments for ease of cleaning.

BBQ folks have been trying to reinvent the "perfect" pit for years---but each seems to have it's own strengths and weakness's Please do not make the mistake of trying to make a pit so versatile that it's problems outweigh it's strengths.

I hope this pit does everything that you want it to do because it looks beautiful.

Haven't been able to post any updates lately, been travelling for work. Here are some updated pix. The grate is made of SS rod. The mechanism to raise and lower it has been installed. The wheel has been put into place. It really sets if off. The counter balance for the lid was also added. It was just a little too heavy. The chip tray was added, along with a tray that can be lowered. Only thing left is to put some paint on her. Can't wait to burn some stix on her, hopefully next weekend.

View attachment 72452

View attachment 72453

View attachment 72454

View attachment 72455

View attachment 72456

Last edited:
That's coming together really nicely. Just a couple of questions... What are the dimensions? It looks kinda small. What is your paint plan?

Look forward to seeing her finally done.

Matt

The overall length of it will be about 54" with the trays. The box will be 30"x20." Hopefully I don't regret the size of it. It will be painted black with a high temp paint.

My new somewhat Santa Maria style BBQ

She's all done! Turned out better then I ever could have expected. I'll post more picks when she's home. Just have to figure out how to do that now.

Last edited:
Back