ISO(in search of) Awesom carna asada recipe

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Just lookin for an amazing carne asada recipe for flank steak or what ever steak.

thanks guys. im in the mood to make tacos next week

Here you go:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87688

While I didn't post the recipe per se, I did list all the ingredients, PM me if you need more info.

I'd suggest skirt steak over flank, BTW.

thanx man! im so gonna make some killer tacos next week. Now i gotta find that BBQ seasoning. i have lawrys but not the other. plenty of oranges since all the nieghbors must have grouped together and decided to buy everyone oranges for christmas. haha

I do have a BUNCH of that goya mojo crillo stuff around. maybe add a 1/4 cup of that to yours. hmm.

You can get by just fine without the BBQ seasoning if you can't find it. I'd pass on the moja criollo for carne asada, as it's better for chicken IMO.

This thread has the recipe for a salsa roja that is just great with carne asada tacos:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87052

thanx man! im so gonna make some killer tacos next week. Now i gotta find that BBQ seasoning. i have lawrys but not the other. plenty of oranges since all the nieghbors must have grouped together and decided to buy everyone oranges for christmas. haha

I do have a BUNCH of that goya mojo crillo stuff around. maybe add a 1/4 cup of that to yours. hmm.

You can get by just fine without the BBQ seasoning if you can't find it. I'd pass on the moja criollo for carne asada, as it's better for chicken IMO.

This thread has the recipe for a salsa roja that is just great with carne asada tacos:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87052

ok, i will pass on that mojo stuff then. i agree, it is great on chicken. Was there any oil for the marinate?

thanks

No oil. Just seasoned salt, orange juice, cilantro sprigs, and slivered onions. I coat the meat first with the seasoning salt, then put it in a ziploc, in between layers of cilantro and onion so each surface of the meat is in contact with the cilantro and onion. Then I pour in the OJ, and as I seal the bag, squeeze as much air out of it as possible. Let it sit at least 24 hours in the fridge. if you have either costco or Sam's club near you, they carry really good USDA Choice skirt steak which is ideal for carne asada. Make sure you slice the meat against the grain...

ok, i will pass on that mojo stuff then. i agree, it is great on chicken. Was there any oil for the marinate?

thanks

No oil. Just seasoned salt, orange juice, cilantro sprigs, and slivered onions. I coat the meat first with the seasoning salt, then put it in a ziploc, in between layers of cilantro and onion so each surface of the meat is in contact with the cilantro and onion. Then I pour in the OJ, and as I seal the bag, squeeze as much air out of it as possible. Let it sit at least 24 hours in the fridge. if you have either costco or Sam's club near you, they carry really good USDA Choice skirt steak which is ideal for carne asada. Make sure you slice the meat against the grain...

yup i have a costco and i think im still a member. if not, we have a local butcher here. Ok sounds good. im gonna try it and see whta happens. thanx Moose.

gonna grill over mesquite if i can find some. haha

Ask your butcher to take sirloin and cut it wafer thin, about 1/8th to 1/4 in., the long way through the top of the steak. Ask him to use his Hobart deli slicer. This will give you larger pieces to stack during the "cure." Take one slice, squeeze lemon or orange juice, a little lime, and a little finely chopped cilantro and onion. Place another slice of sirloin on top, repeat the process. Put it all into a large ziplock and into the fridge for 24+ hours. Make sure it's plenty wet with citrus juice. Season with salt and pepper, maybe some cayenne only when you grill it. The citrus mixture will chemically cure the meat and all you have to do is grill it a minute or so a side. Toppings are your choice: pico de gallo, peppers, etc. in warm corn tortillas. Enjoy.

do a search, Ross in Ventura did lots of threads during his quest for Carne.

@ big al: thanx man. I was debating between skirt and sirloin last night. I think i might do a mix of both, each in its own separate ziploc though. that way i can have best of both worlds. This is where i wish i had a gas grill so i didnt have to heat up the lump and then snuf it down again.

Just my .02, but skirt steak is a much better choice than sirloin due to its fat marbling and overall flavor, plus it's authentic. I've never seen a reputable taqueria use sirloin for carne asada.

The flavor of a Skirt Steak is like to a $100 bill, and the Sirloin is like to a $20 bill.
Both are good, but the Skirt steak has Massive flavor compared to Sirloin.

The flavor of a Skirt Steak is like to a $100 bill, and the Sirloin is like to a $20 bill.
Both are good, but the Skirt steak has Massive flavor compared to Sirloin.

Couldn't have said it better...:clap2:

Back