• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

brisket

HUCKS

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
ok to get a debate going again.brisket fat up or down and why.i do cook mine with fat up.my only problem is in theory i do not inject.so there for all my rub get washed off with the fat rendering though.is this a problem or more so in my mind only.

Up keeps the meat moister as the fat drips back down through the meat.

I can only speak from my experience and from all that I've learned from everyone here. I cook mine fat side down and I do not inject. I've never had my rub wash off and I cook high heat. 325-350. You can get many different answers on this but even if you chose to do fat side up I dont think it would affect your rub on the bottom. I'd try fat side down first and see how you like that. There is no wrong answer here you just have to practice practice practice. Others will chime in on this to help soon.

I think it depends on the direction of heat and the type of cooker you have. In my Eggs I cook fat down the entire cook, and in my BDS's I cook the majority of the time fat down. The fat acts as a heat buffer of sorts. One of my buddies cooks on an offset that draws the heat above the cooking grate, and he cooks most of the time with the fat up.

Up keeps the meat moister as the fat drips back down through the meat.

Old wives tail. Fat does not soak into the meat. When fat begins rendering its being pushed OUT the pores of the meat which disproves that theory. :becky:

Old wives tail. Fat does not soak into the meat. When fat begins rendering its being pushed OUT the pores of the meat which disproves that theory. :becky:

completely agree. not only that, but unless you're a high heat guy, the fat mostly doesn't render at all. mine is fat side down, mostly because the fire is below and secondly because the rub looks better that way.

Kinda a personal preference. Sometimes i like the top side and other times i don't mind the bottom side :laugh::laugh:

Personal preference.............All the way. You'll get 10 for and 10 against, it's smoking meat, not baking a cake (where everything has to be exact).....enjoy it and learn what makes you and your crew the happiest and that will become the only way. Me, Fat up on everything! just sayin'

Back