Smoked Pinto Beans

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've been meaning to post these pictures for quite awhile.. I smoked this last batch of pintos when I had a crawdad boil this summer...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88801

I soak the pintos in water overnight then drain and place into a colander in my smoker..

007-3-1.jpg

I smoke them low for at least 2 hours and stir every so often..

002-2-1.jpg

then I fry some bacon and cook a few onions, peppers and garlic in the drippings...

012-2-1.jpg

015-2-1.jpg

throw a ham hock, the onions, garlic, peppers and seasonings in the pot, cover with water or stock and let them simmer all day.
This can be done on the smoker but they take forever. After the beans are tender, I add salt to the pot.

020-1-1.jpg

then back onto the smoker... while I was busy boiling crawdads. :)

040-2-1.jpg

041-2-1.jpg

Pintos on the block pit...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52949

101_7884-1.jpg

This method has been around for quite awhile.. a smoking friend in Texas that goes by the name of Hey Bud told me about doing them this way a few years ago. I have tried them several times and like the outcome.

Just another option for adding flavor to dried beans..

Thanks for looking!

Very cool. It never would have occurred to me to smoke them before cooking.

Oh, and the Pulled Pork Pie was excellent, thanks for the idea! :becky:

Jeanie,
Great idea smoking the dried beans before cooking. Love me some good pinto's and cornbread!
Al

never thought I'd want to have pintos any other way that the way my mom taught me to cook 'em...but now I do. GREAT idea. What wood (or chips/pellets/whatever) did you use?

Thanks friends.. I didn't know if they would make much of a difference when I first made them.. but I liked the extra flavor the smoke added.

I DO love them with cornbread. :-D

never thought I'd want to have pintos any other way that the way my mom taught me to cook 'em...but now I do. GREAT idea. What wood (or chips/pellets/whatever) did you use?
Thanks Dan! I have used mesquite and hickory.. Seems like a stronger wood works best. Fruit woods are too mild for my taste.
Hope you have good luck with them. :)

Never would have thought to try that, going to now though. Thanks for not only this one,but for all your posts. See your name on one and you know its going to be good.

Never would have thought to try that, going to now though. Thanks for not only this one,but for all your posts. See your name on one and you know its going to be good.

Codger, Thank you! I appreciate that. :cool::thumb:

wow..you're so ingenious!! look great! I wonder if ....well...uhm...you know..beans the musical fruit and all..and being smoked...if you can tell a difference...uhm.."in the air"? LOL

wow..you're so ingenious!! look great! I wonder if ....well...uhm...you know..beans the musical fruit and all..and being smoked...if you can tell a difference...uhm.."in the air"? LOL

lol Mike... girls don't do that....we smell like roses at all times. :p:becky:
:behindsofa:

Back