Reaction score
OK...finished my UDS last night around 9ish...here's some highlights:
Removing the lid
IMG_6769.jpg

Torching it out...food grade oil drum...wasn't too bad
IMG_6785.jpg

Holes drilled and sand blasted
IMG_7196.jpg

Nice looking drum. I just finished my UDS too and used a similar drum. I cut the other side off, leaving the side with the threaded plug on the bottom of the UDS, so I could unscrew the plug as a drain for washing purposes. Nice sandblasting job. Post more pics when painted and finished.

Finished product:
IMG_7201.jpg

Fuel...check
IMG_7216.jpg

Fired her up about 9:30 last night...she purred along very steady around 300* until 5am when I came in to catch some winks...I shut her down to 250* then. Went out at 7am and still at 250*
I put my first fatties on around 9:30 this am.
IMG_7228.jpg

A little look inside my first fatties...
IMG_7224.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

I found that if you have some butchers paper...tear a piece off and form your fatties on it...no sticking. Then when you are done, you can wrap them up in it to keep them in the fridge until they are ready to hit the grill.

I will try to get some pron of the finished fatties...not sure if they will last long enough to get some good picks though!

One thing I did learn...listen to the Brethern...
I went out and bought a WM grill thermometer and got what I paid for. I bought it cause it was the only one I could find last evening and when I stuck my digital in, the cheapo was off anywhere form 20 to 40 degrees.
Gonna have to order me one...anyone have any links to some? I remember seeing one some where in the UDS novel...but can't seem to find it now.

Thanks...

here is what I got to use along with my Maverick.
http://www.teltru.com/food_service.asp
I got the LT225R. It can be calibrated, the sensor is in the last 3" so you get temp in the middle of the drum. I put a short 1.5" tube just below the bottom grate. Works fine.

Hey Smoke,

Great looking drum and fatties, but I don't understand why you promote EAT - BEEF on your Jeep and your first cook is pork.....Just wondering....

good looking job on the drum. welcome to the world of the drumheads. your fatties look mighty nice too. Smoke on Bro.:-D:cool:

Hey Smoke,

Great looking drum and fatties, but I don't understand why you promote EAT - BEEF on your Jeep and your first cook is pork.....Just wondering....

My folks raise cattle...and I did slipped a little beef into those fatties:biggrin:

No worries...brisket is on tap later this week....my first one...I'll let you know how it goes...with pron of course!
Otherwise...It didn't happen!

Back