Smoking a small brisket

Smoker21

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I have a 4.5 lb packer from Sam's in the fridge. If I put it on for 1.5 hours a pound at @225, will it cook any differently than a 9+ pound piece of meat?? Is there anything I should do different or look out for?

Thanks in advance.

JD

Must have come off a young calf to be that small I suspect is is a portion of a larger one that was cut down. The difference it will cook quicker. That 's it my work is done here. Let me kick the Dead Pony one more Time> "YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Last edited:
I know it will cook quicker Bluedawg but will the fat render down and the collagen's break down in lets say 6 hours or will I be left with a tough and fatty piece of meat??

Thanks in advance.

JD

A 4.5lb packer!? Smallest I've ever seen was 8 lbs...it was done in under 6 hours, and was really good, not greasy or tough.

I know it will cook quicker Bluedawg but will the fat render down and the collagen's break down in lets say 6 hours or will I be left with a tough and fatty piece of meat??

Thanks in advance.

JD
It is not "TIME" thing. it is a "TEMP"thing. There is less of it so things happen faster. Once the beef reaches it's optimum temp the magic happens regardless if it is a an 18lb behemoth or an itsy bitsy 4.5 lber.That is why PROBE TENDER it the only reliable way to Great BBQ Brisket. Temp is different on every one.

Thanks again Bludawg.

Here's a couple of pic's. The label says, Beef Brisket Flat Boneless Cov.

4.42 pounds

JD

Attachments

• Bottom1.jpg
    Bottom1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 139
  • fatside.jpg
    fatside.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 140
I smoked a flat yesterday that looked much like that one....also from Sam's. I chose one with less fat.

I want to work my way up to packers.

How did yours turn out, OP?

I smoked a flat yesterday that looked much like that one....also from Sam's. I chose one with less fat.

I want to work my way up to packers.

How did yours turn out, OP?

Just did a 10lb flat Saturday. Took 15hr @215. Wrapped at 12hr mark. Was freaking phenomenal. Pull was great flavor better. It stalled at 151 for around 4 hours I was worried haha

Asus Transformer Tablet. TapatalkHD

Just did a 10lb flat Saturday. Took 15hr @215. Wrapped at 12hr mark. Was freaking phenomenal. Pull was great flavor better. It stalled at 151 for around 4 hours I was worried haha

Asus Transformer Tablet. TapatalkHD

The stall drove me nuts....mine was at 158-160...for over an hour. Really had me scratching my head.

collagen breaks down at 180 degrees. Get it to tthat temp and hold it for an hour. Remember not to smoke it through the entire cook. smoke say 2-3 hours depending on how big it is then wrap it with foil the rest of the cook. Put it straight from the fridge into the smoker for a nice smoke rig. I have 1/2 smoke rings on some of my meat

Back