2M Smokehouse - San Antonio

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Went to 2M Smokehouse today. For those that don't know the owner Esaul Ramos who used to work at LaBarbecue, started 2M with a bit of Mexican influence.

It was cold and a bit rainy so the line was not long when I got there about 30 minutes before opening. I was about 20th in line. The doors opened at 11 and we went inside. In the main area is small, there's only like 4 small square tables that sit maybe 3 or 4 people each. The first 10 people in line were a family group who quickly sat down and reserved all the tables while 2 or 3 from the family ordered. Each table had a big white sign with red letters saying something like "NO RESERVING TABLES OR OCCUPYING THEM TILL YOU HAVE YOUR TRAY". A lady behind the counter also LOUDLY announced this with a brief explanation that it's not fare to others who are standing in line, and asked anyone currently occupying a table to please get up until you have a tray. The family occupying all the tables just ignored her like the rules don't apply to them. So they lady came from behind the counter, and firmly tells the group "Anyone currently sitting at a table, grab your things and get up! No reserving tables!". One of the ladies reserving a table says to her "We are first in line so it does not matter". She's was simply told "Get your things, and get up!". Table occupying lady starts to throw a total fit. I could not hear everything she said but it was something about "This place sucks, I hate it already". LOL. So I'm guessing she will end up leaving a negative Yelp review because they forced her to follow the rules.

Anyways. I got brisket, ribs and potato salad. I was going to get sausage but something happened to the sausage and they were not serving any of it. Kind of a bummer because I wanted to try it.

Brisket: Killer. Up there with the best of them. I got a pound of lean. Super tender, great seasoning and flavor. Some of these places brisket is so good it almost seems to be TOO good. Like they inject it with something. This was one of those. I trimmed off all the fat and seasoning on some bites to make sure thats not what I was tasting. It wasn't. Truth BBQ Brenham location is another that is suspicious to me. I don't know if it's just the 44 Farms brisket or what. But to me it seems the places selling 44 Farms I find "suspicious". Maybe 44 Farms brisket is that good? But I don't know what brisket 2M sells. It reminds me of Truth BBQ though.

Ribs: Again, 5 stars. Not sure what kind of ribs these are. I dont think they were Duroc but could have been. Pretty lean, full spares. Lightly seasoned with some type of salt/pepper combo and a hint of something sweet. Reminded me of Killen's ribs and probably my favorite.

Potato salad: Nasty. Smelled and tasted like Krylon rattle can paint. It was really odd. I'm not saying I think it actually had chemicals on it, it's just what it reminded me of. I'm not a fan and it, was not for me. I would probably try the chicharoni macaroni or creamed corn (not a regular menu item) instead if I go back.

Conclusion: I think it should be in the Texas Monthly Top 10. It could easily boot Louie Mueller. I would still like to try that odd sausage with the Mexican cheese and other sides though. I did not even taste the sauce. I forgot because I was too busy inhaling my food.

huhnxy.jpg

raayoo.jpg

kdanix.jpg

Looks fabulous. Some 5 or 6 years ago, I happened upon LaBBQ in Austin by accident. Never heard of them before. Now, they're one that I always hear about. Went to Franklin's the next day. While Franklins was unique and delicious, LA BBQ was just plain amazing. There was no special seasoning or flavor, like at Franklins but it was cooked perfectly. I still dream about that perfect brisket at LaBBQ. Seeing your picture, reading your description and reading that Ramos worked at LaBBQ, I imagine it is the very similar to what I had, with perhaps a Mexican flair. Definitely, 2M it is on my list now.

Looks fabulous. Some 5 or 6 years ago, I happened upon LaBBQ in Austin by accident. Never heard of them before. Now, they're one that I always hear about. Went to Franklin's the next day. While Franklins was unique and delicious, LA BBQ was just plain amazing. There was no special seasoning or flavor, like at Franklins but it was cooked perfectly. I still dream about that perfect brisket at LaBBQ. Seeing your picture, reading your description and reading that Ramos worked at LaBBQ, I imagine it is the very similar to what I had, with perhaps a Mexican flair. Definitely, 2M it is on my list now.

I have not hit any of of the Austin joints besides Franklin. I think LaBBQ will be next on the list. I got a sample of their brisket at the Texas Monthly Fest and I remember it being pretty tasty. I'm curios how it compares to 2M since Esaul learned what he knows from working at LaBarbecue. I wonder if there's any resemblance.

Here's an interview Kevin did with Esaul that tells the whole story from the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6GAIi1f_tA

Man, I really miss TX BBQ. Almost drove to Charleston on MLK but we left later than planned and just went to the zoo in Columbia. I couldn’t drag my family to a interstate bbq fetish with no back up plan.

Man, I really miss TX BBQ. Almost drove to Charleston on MLK but we left later than planned and just went to the zoo in Columbia. I couldn’t drag my family to a interstate bbq fetish with no back up plan.

Open a Texas BBQ trailer in GA.

I started following 2M on instagram and they are on the list for the next time I'm down in Texas. Thanks for the review, the meat looks killer.

I can understand not wanting a bunch of phosphates but what does it matter if a restaurant injects with broth and some spices to help with moisture? If it tastes good and is moist who cares?

I started following 2M on instagram and they are on the list for the next time I'm down in Texas. Thanks for the review, the meat looks killer.

I can understand not wanting a bunch of phosphates but what does it matter if a restaurant injects with broth and some spices to help with moisture? If it tastes good and is moist who cares?

I would not mind if it was just some broth and spices. I would not be pleased at if it was phosphates.

Id don't know if these places inject anything or not. But some of these places are REALLY good. 2M is now on that list for me. I going to start trying some of the Austin joints now. Only Austin joint I have been to is Franklin.

I would not mind if it was just some broth and spices. I would not be pleased at if it was phosphates.

Id don't know if these places inject anything or not. But some of these places are REALLY good. 2M is now on that list for me. I going to start trying some of the Austin joints now. Only Austin joint I have been to is Franklin.

Loved Franklin's and Snow's. Wish I hadn't gorged myself on those two plus tacos because I ended up not going to La Barbecue or Valentina's, but I guess that just means I have to schedule another trip. Want to hit 2M and Truth if I ever get down to Houston.

The thick cut brisket down there is amazing and I wish more(any) places here in KC served it.

Back