My Buddy Turned My Words Back On Me! - Sam's Comes Through

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
Last month I was asked to cook and freeze a brisket for a friend going out of state over the holidays. No problem, I have full thawing and reheating instructions and I triple wrap them in foil, and also provide some brisket juice to add if needed. Last week I mention this at happy hour and low and behold by buddy says "Well, as long as you have a fire going, will you do one for my wine and cheese party?".

Heheheeee. I'm always saying that.... as long as you have a fire going, throw on a couple of fatties..... or cook a whole loin instead of just a small roast,..... or a family pack of thighs instead of 4 thighs.

My only rule is, I pick out the meat, then you pay me back. This way, I'm in more control of the quality and size I like to cook. So I call the meat department at Sam's before leaving work and tell them I need 2 matching briskets (weight wise) and would like 4 to pick from. I gave him a 13 to 16 pound range. When I got there, they had 4 at 15 pounds in a box in back, there was less than 1/2 pound difference between them. These guy's did it again.

1213121452bbbbb.jpg

Nice. That's service. Unfortantantly, my Sams doesn't even carry brisket. :sad:

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Never bought a brisket from Sam's, but I keep hearing good things about them.

Just hate to not give business to my local butcher,

Our SAMs now carries prime grade brisket, which I assume is the same as CAB since there isn't supposed to be brisket graded as prime, but it is sure labeled that way. $2.78 per lb.

Unfortunately the Chattanooga Sam's folks don't know the difference in a whole brisket and a flat. I've called twice and they assured me they had whole briskets. After driving 30 miles they only had flats and argued with me they were whole briskets.
Be thankful for your Sam's Club that knows the difference!

Our SAMs now carries prime grade brisket, which I assume is the same as CAB since there isn't supposed to be brisket graded as prime, but it is sure labeled that way. $2.78 per lb.

Actually CAB beef has a different criteria and that's why all beef labeled CAB is Angus, but not all beef labeled Angus is CAB. And sure, you can have USDA prime brisket, it just has to come off a carcass that is graded prime. Often you will see cases stamped "Choice or Better" and there might be a prime one amongst the others. It's weird but sometimes prime briskets show up at WalMart.

Unfortunately the Chattanooga Sam's folks don't know the difference in a whole brisket and a flat. I've called twice and they assured me they had whole briskets. After driving 30 miles they only had flats and argued with me they were whole briskets.
Be thankful for your Sam's Club that knows the difference!

Well heck, it was a whole flat..... heheheee.

There is a big difference in the choice and prime briskets at our SAMs. The prime has lots more marbling in the point and it always seems to cook up more moist, even the flat. I find it even cooks a little faster.

These prime are as close to CAB as I am able to find locally. Wish we had a wider selection.

I'm always jealous of the brisket prices people post. They're sitting around $6/pound around here -- yeah, not much cheaper than ribeyes, and if you subtract the waste, ribeyes are much cheaper. Heading down to NC this week and they're about half the price in the same stores.

The waste is a big factor, but I like to trim my own so I just bite the bullet and accept the waste.... these two came in just over 30 pounds and I bet after trimming I had 24 pounds.

Back