Prime rib for 100.

plowin-fire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Doing prime rib for our fire dept on saturday night. I have 106 lbs of CAB boneless prime rib. Was planning on rubbing with Kosher salt and some tuscan seasoning I got at Costco. Let them sit overnight and then smoke at 225 till about 115 or so and them sear to finish at 130. Any benefit to letting them sit out for an hour or so before going in the smoker like you do with steaks? Any other suggestions or am I missing anything here? Done prime rib on the egg a few times, but never this much.

They'll take on more smoke if you don't let them sit out. Not to mention, the cuts are so big they won't change that much temp wise in an hour anyway. I wouldn't worry about it.

I can't wait to see some pics. This is a huge cook! Good luck!

I go right from fridge to cooker. Better smoke ring, better food safety practice, no down side that I'm aware of.

you can bring out of fridge a few hours ahead of going into smoker, sounds like you have 5 roasts, so I would put in smoker alot warmer, as lots of mass, since you have multiple roasts, sear to your temp of no more than 130, as the end cuts will be well and the middle rare...or pull at 120 aND
keep the charcoal roaring and flash the ones people want done more OR do all the searing once sliced and assembly line the steaks on the grill//thats how I do them for weddiings..and yes let it rest before slicing..
so many ways to do it!
salt/pepper/garlic/oinion/rosemary for me

I'm with BigBellyBBQ on this one. No worries about bacteria with a completely salinated exterior from all the kosher and salt content in the Tuscan. My whole rib roasts always turn out better when allowed to rest out prior to cooking.

I agree with those who say don't go straight from the fridge to the smoker. Reason being, you put a cold roast in the smoker (especially prime rib where you want that constant pink med-rare throughout the whole roast) the outside will be overdone by the time the center of the roast hits med-rare because the middle of the roast will take considerably longer to reach 120 degrees than the outside of the roast if it is put on cold. Conversely, the outside of the roast will continue to cook and over cook while the middle is getting to medium rare.

Result, you have a small medium rare center surrounded by well-done exterior. You want the whole roast to cook to medium rare at almost the same time so you have lovely pink all-the-way-through slices that everyone associates with prime rib. So bring up to room temp before you throw them rib roasts on.

How long would you let them sit out before going into the smoker? Also would it benefit to trim all fat off before the rub is applied? Thinking if no trim, there will be a lake of drippings in the smoker...

>> Any benefit to letting them sit out for an hour or so before going in the smoker

Letting them sit out ONE hour ... though it will be *better* than straight-from-fridge, one hour isn't enough. I agree with earlier posts, there'll be too much well-done and not enough pink in the middle.

I'm thinking ... four hours. Ok, at least three.

If you have time, YES trim, to 1/8" to 1/4" fat. THEN rub with salt. THEN sit for four hours.

That's what I would do.

J

I would let them come to room temp, as above, if you have a salty rub on the outside, you won't have to worry about any surface bacteria, and bacteria and other nastys cannot readily penetrate the rib roast, which is why you don't have to cook it to 165 degrees like you do chicken our cook it through like ground burger for food safety.

Do not trim off all the fat cap off the roast (it is going to baste your roast with flavor), you can trim it to a uniform 1/2 inch though. Your fat will begin to render around 130 degrees and continue through your cook. Because it is on the outside you will get some fat dripping, which is a good thing, but it won't all render unless you accidentally cook the fark out of the rib roast. After all, the idea by not putting the roast on cold is that you are getting the rib roast up to med-rare almost all at once. So if you are concerned about drippings getting all in your smoker and making a greasy mess, instead of trimming all the fat cap away, I would instead suggest utilizing a drip pan under your grates below you rib roasts. That's a lot of prime rib. Sounds like it is gonna be a party. Good luck! Post us some pics.

>> Any benefit to letting them sit out for an hour or so before going in the smoker

Letting them sit out ONE hour ... though it will be *better* than straight-from-fridge, one hour isn't enough. I agree with earlier posts, there'll be too much well-done and not enough pink in the middle.

If you have time, YES trim, to 1/8" to 1/4" fat. THEN rub with salt. THEN sit for four hours.

That's what I would do.

J

^^This^^. But please leave at least 1/4" fat for me and other fat lovers. Others can cut theirs off on their plate!

I use Montreal Steak seasoning on my Rib Roasts. Good mix of seasonings for such robust beef.

That's what I would do.

J

Agreed.

Heading over to station shortly to start trimming. Will get some pics of the process. Should I put rub on tonight or wait til morning and do it when I set them out. Also how long per pound should I figure at 225?

Heading over to station shortly to start trimming. Will get some pics of the process. Should I put rub on tonight or wait til morning and do it when I set them out. Also how long per pound should I figure at 225?

Well, I'm getting back to this post too late as far as the rub, but I don't think you will have a huge difference.

I would not count on time per pound. Use a quick read thermometer on this one (even better if you have one of those electric ones you can leave in, if you do, don't pull it out until it has rested or you may lose some juices come flying out of the hole when you pull it). I know everyone is always correctly saying don't use temp for brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc., but this is an instance where you can. Put your probe in the dead center of the rib roast and pull at no more than 115 degrees. While the rib roast is resting it will continue to cook and your internal temp will rise about 10 degrees. You should have a nice med-rare. If you like your prime rib more done you can wait 5-10 more degrees before pulling for every degree of doneness, with the idea that the roast will continue to cook and rise about 10 degrees while resting and that will be your endpoint.

I am heading to the fridge to remove the roast that was scheduled to cook next weekend.. and cook it today!! the flavor is just crrazy in my head..

Weather was cold and snowy so we thought numbers would be down, and they were. Was 5 degrees out. Decided to cook 5 roasts, about 88 lbs worth. Trimmed and seasoned the night before. Let them sit out for 4 hours before cooking. Cooked til 125-130 and then seared in the 550 degree oven for 10 minutes right before carving. Smoked for about 4 to 5 hours. Was very good. Some people said it was the best prime rib they had ever had. The tuscan seasoning was amazing on it. Going to do that again for sure. And then of course there are the old people that dont like "raw meat". Thats what the chicken was for. Fried up 20lbs of shrimp but didnt get pics of that for some reason. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• DSCN0606.jpg
    DSCN0606.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DSCN0607.jpg
    DSCN0607.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN0608.jpg
    DSCN0608.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN0609.jpg
    DSCN0609.jpg