• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber Genesis S-330 Help talk me into it or out of it.

Oldyote

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My wife and I are the designated cooks for our cabin weekends in the summer. We spend about 100 days at the cabin in the summer and most of those we are cooking for 3 to 10 people depending on what is going on.

I have a BGE out there as well as a hybrid grill that we use a ton. The hybrid is on its last leg and my wife has been shopping for a good outdoor griddle. We make at least on meal for the whole family every day and often we make a large breakfast and then the evening meal. We use a griddle quite a bit but have not had much success with the options we have tried.

We have tried the camp chef griddle that fits over our camp chef double burner and various griddles that sort of fit on the hybrid. Since hybrid is on its last leg we have been looking at the Weber Genesis S-330

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/genesis-series/genesis-s-330

and the griddle inserts that you can order for it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81TAh-aaXWL._SL1500_.jpg.

This would be the most expensive gas grill I've ever owned and as much as I like Weber I"m having a hard time justifying the $1000.00 price tag.

Anyone have experience with this model? I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has tried the griddle inserts.

Thanks for your help.

Ric

My Weber gasser is on it's last legs after about 15 years, and if I decide to replace it I will buy the Genesis S-330. Weber makes a great grill and they last a long time. I figure that the stainless version of the Genesis will last almost forever.

I'm with you on everything. I really like Weber, but I would have a hard time paying that. While the Amazon price is $950, I have seen these dip around $600-$700 range. Amazon's pricing can fluctuate a lot and occasionally drops 30% of so -- something in their algorithms. Also, check the local stores. Went shopping with my sister-in-law last year and picked up similar for around $700 (Canadian). Since you spend so much time up there, you definitely want a good grill. For that price, I think I'd be looking at a pellet grill instead. A Yoder 480 is not that much more and I'd be a lot happier with it and a Traeger at Costco is quite a bit cheaper. I think the pelletpooper would have the convenience of gas, if that's what you're looking for.

I'm with you on everything. I really like Weber, but I would have a hard time paying that. While the Amazon price is $950, I have seen these dip around $600-$700 range. Amazon's pricing can fluctuate a lot and occasionally drops 30% of so -- something in their algorithms. Also, check the local stores. Went shopping with my sister-in-law last year and picked up similar for around $700 (Canadian). Since you spend so much time up there, you definitely want a good grill. For that price, I think I'd be looking at a pellet grill instead. A Yoder 480 is not that much more and I'd be a lot happier with it and a Traeger at Costco is quite a bit cheaper. I think the pelletpooper would have the convenience of gas, if that's what you're looking for.
Weber has a new policy as of Jan 1 2012 that prices cannot dip below MAP, so you don't see the big swings or crazy low prices anymore. I personally would do the E-330 for $150 less. Same grill but black and it uses cast iron grates instead of stainless on the S-330.

Or a YS480 is a great option. I'm just breaking in my new YS640 this weekend!

Jealous here. I bought a new Weber two years ago to replace my umpteenth disposable Char-griller. It's been flawless and looks the same as when I got it, but I really wish I'd thought of a pellet-pooper at the time. The YS640 has been at the top of my list for well over a year.

The last cheap gas grill I bought rusted and failed after a couple of years.
2 years ago I bought an Genesis S-330. It has worked great so far, not a single problem.

Weber has a new policy as of Jan 1 2012 that prices cannot dip below MAP, so you don't see the big swings or crazy low prices anymore. I personally would do the E-330 for $150 less. Same grill but black and it uses cast iron grates instead of stainless on the S-330.

The Yoders look great but I've never used one. My wife wants something that you can put a griddle on (breakfast stuff mostly). Would the Yoders work for that?

My dad has a Genesis. He's had it for at least ten years. It is stored outside on a covered patio, 24-7-365, in Houston, where things tend to rust. It looks and works fine. So, spending the extra money over other gassers is a sound financial decision, IMO.

CD

The Yoders look great but I've never used one. My wife wants something that you can put a griddle on (breakfast stuff mostly). Would the Yoders work for that?
Yes. You can take out the deflector on the Yoders, and you can use a 20" Weber griddle directly over the fire per Yoder, and you can buy "GrillGrates" and cook directly over the fire on them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bozCyMO7FFA"]SmokingPit.com - Cajun Shrimp & Bay Scallops Recipe - Cooked on a griddle on a Yoder YS640 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7EYtiW3vY"]SmokingPit.com - Yoder YS640 Direct Grilling using the Grill Grates - YouTube[/ame]

It's very versatile. And with a second shelf (a must) it can cook a ton of food. The top rack is very close in temp to the lower rack. Mine are about 5-10* lower. Others can chime in, because I'm still learning mine.

I don't think there is one made specifically to fit it, but you should be able to put a CI griddle on the grate.

In my post I said "if I replace" my current gasser. One reason I may not replace it is that I have my Memphis Pro pellet grill on the deck for since it's not being used for competitions. I like having it there and haven't turned on the gasser since it's been there. I may look at another pellet grill for the comp trailer and leave the pro there and forget about gas except for coffee roasting.

Well now you guys have me thinking seriously about a Yoder.

One of things we make a lot in the summer is pancakes - easy and fills up the crazy and often numerous kids running around.

With a pellet grill would I need to worry about the pancakes tasting like smoke? I think my wife might be willing to consider the Yoder but if it ends up making smokey pancakes I'll be in the doghouse.

Wife Edit -

The biggest problem we have with the current griddle is that it heats unevenly. So some parts are super hot and some not hot enough. I'd trust that the Weber will heat evenly with how the burners are setup. I'd wonder if the griddle on the Yoder would heat evenly?

The higher in temp you get on a pellet grill the less smoke flavor you get. Although on the Yoder it does put out more smoke flavor at higher temps than I've seen on some other pellet pits. And it's nice constant blue smoke vs. an intermittent smoke from the others.

I can report back when I get my griddle.

Well I pulled the trigger on the Weber.

I know my wife will like it and I've learned from experience that if I take too long to make a decision I might miss the opportunity.

I ordered it with a griddle and rotisserie. Looking forward to playing with it even if it is gas :p.

A gas grill has its place, for sure.

Very fast to temp, early morning breakfast cooks are good.

FWIW, I have a 12 or 13 year old Genesis (Silver A - two burner) that is the perfect accessory to my charcoal grills and smokers. I have a CI grate that I really like and have replaced the old steel flavorizers with SS flavorizers that should last forever.

I'm sure you should be happy with the S-330 for a long time.

I have a Genesis Silver B that I've had for 8 years. Replaces the grates and flavorizer bars once (Weber replaced them actually) and the grill still cooks awesome. I have the weber griddle too and it is nice but the issue that I have had is that if you leave it on the grill it will rust, even if you season it well. Might also be because I am in south florida where the humidity is really high :)

I started out with a used Weber Jr. moved on to a 1000, Silver B and then a Silver C. Pretty much craigslist steals that just needed a good cleaning. Depending on how well you maintain them, keep them covered or under cover and not left out in the elements they are some of the easiest grills to maintain and 99% of the parts are easily available. 2 wing nuts are all you remove to replace the burner tubes should they need replacing.

I end up using the Q200 more than the Genesis these days.

Well I pulled the trigger on the Weber.

I know my wife will like it and I've learned from experience that if I take too long to make a decision I might miss the opportunity.

I ordered it with a griddle and rotisserie. Looking forward to playing with it even if it is gas :p.

Don't worry man, I think it will do everything you hoped for. I love mine. I have the griddle and the rotisserie. Now you can make a proper Racooner too. :thumb:

IMG_3057.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

Back