Cast Iron ?

cb4004

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got a cast Iron kit a few years back, tried the skillet and 4qt pot a couple of that was about it. I recently pulled them out of the attic recently only to find them with rust (obviously didn't season them right) my question is, what can I do to get them to be functioning tools in my kitchen, or has the damage been done?

How bad is the rust? Only surface? You can sand or wire wheel it? Or do a quick soak in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar. Then sand, dry in the oven and season.

Very minnor surface rust, thanks for the advice. looking forward to cooking with these guys.

Bar keepers friend (oxalic acid) can do it in a matter of minutes instead of hours.

Dmp

I got a cast Iron kit a few years back, tried the skillet and 4qt pot a couple of that was about it. I recently pulled them out of the attic recently only to find them with rust (obviously didn't season them right) my question is, what can I do to get them to be functioning tools in my kitchen, or has the damage been done?

I leave my cast iron on the stove all the time. They get used every day, for just about every thing. Don't put them in the attic, basement, or away in a cupboard somewhere. Out of sight, out of mind. Use them all the time, clean with stiff brush and water, dry thoroughly, and coat them lightly with oil. They'll always be ready to use. Nothing better! :thumb:

Hmmm, never though of Bar Keepers Friend, thanks for the tip DMP

If you cook something in your cast iron and it sticks, then wipe it out as well as possible. After wiping, sprinkle salt into the cast iron and use it to scour out the stuck residue. Rinse it out and reseason the cast iron. Bacon grease or margarine work well for seasoning. :razz:

Back